May 12, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
Things were looking really grim for the Pittsburgh Penguins for a while there. They went down 4-0 to Montreal at one point after Travis Moen chased Marc-Andre Fleury thanks to an ugly shorthanded goal. At that point, it was looking like the Penguins would just be playing for pride. Now they have at least a prayer, down 4-2 going into the third.
The good news for Montreal is that they maintained their 2 goal lead going into the third period. The bad news is that the Penguins now have quite a bit of momentum, not to mention a 4-on-3 powerplay heading into the final frame.
It’s pretty hard to imagine the boa-constrictor defense of the Habs allowing four unanswered goals for a tie. The Penguins would need two goals in the third to do so and would also need to keep the Habs off the scoreboard, which is a pretty tall order against a goalie as steady and sometimes spectacular as Jaroslav Halak. If nothing else, we have a reason to keep watching a game that looked all but over not very long ago.
Also, the Philadelphia Flyers are in the driver’s seat at home with a 1-0 lead at the end of the first period. If they could hold on, the team could force an improbable Game 7 after Boston built a 3-0 series deficit. We’ll keep you up-to-date on both of tonight’s games, so stay tuned.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)