May 12, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
Things were looking really grim for the Pittsburgh Penguins for a while there. They went down 4-0 to Montreal at one point after Travis Moen chased Marc-Andre Fleury thanks to an ugly shorthanded goal. At that point, it was looking like the Penguins would just be playing for pride. Now they have at least a prayer, down 4-2 going into the third.
The good news for Montreal is that they maintained their 2 goal lead going into the third period. The bad news is that the Penguins now have quite a bit of momentum, not to mention a 4-on-3 powerplay heading into the final frame.
It’s pretty hard to imagine the boa-constrictor defense of the Habs allowing four unanswered goals for a tie. The Penguins would need two goals in the third to do so and would also need to keep the Habs off the scoreboard, which is a pretty tall order against a goalie as steady and sometimes spectacular as Jaroslav Halak. If nothing else, we have a reason to keep watching a game that looked all but over not very long ago.
Also, the Philadelphia Flyers are in the driver’s seat at home with a 1-0 lead at the end of the first period. If they could hold on, the team could force an improbable Game 7 after Boston built a 3-0 series deficit. We’ll keep you up-to-date on both of tonight’s games, so stay tuned.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 31
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)