May 12, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
Things were looking really grim for the Pittsburgh Penguins for a while there. They went down 4-0 to Montreal at one point after Travis Moen chased Marc-Andre Fleury thanks to an ugly shorthanded goal. At that point, it was looking like the Penguins would just be playing for pride. Now they have at least a prayer, down 4-2 going into the third.
The good news for Montreal is that they maintained their 2 goal lead going into the third period. The bad news is that the Penguins now have quite a bit of momentum, not to mention a 4-on-3 powerplay heading into the final frame.
It’s pretty hard to imagine the boa-constrictor defense of the Habs allowing four unanswered goals for a tie. The Penguins would need two goals in the third to do so and would also need to keep the Habs off the scoreboard, which is a pretty tall order against a goalie as steady and sometimes spectacular as Jaroslav Halak. If nothing else, we have a reason to keep watching a game that looked all but over not very long ago.
Also, the Philadelphia Flyers are in the driver’s seat at home with a 1-0 lead at the end of the first period. If they could hold on, the team could force an improbable Game 7 after Boston built a 3-0 series deficit. We’ll keep you up-to-date on both of tonight’s games, so stay tuned.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)