May 12, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
Things were looking really grim for the Pittsburgh Penguins for a while there. They went down 4-0 to Montreal at one point after Travis Moen chased Marc-Andre Fleury thanks to an ugly shorthanded goal. At that point, it was looking like the Penguins would just be playing for pride. Now they have at least a prayer, down 4-2 going into the third.
The good news for Montreal is that they maintained their 2 goal lead going into the third period. The bad news is that the Penguins now have quite a bit of momentum, not to mention a 4-on-3 powerplay heading into the final frame.
It’s pretty hard to imagine the boa-constrictor defense of the Habs allowing four unanswered goals for a tie. The Penguins would need two goals in the third to do so and would also need to keep the Habs off the scoreboard, which is a pretty tall order against a goalie as steady and sometimes spectacular as Jaroslav Halak. If nothing else, we have a reason to keep watching a game that looked all but over not very long ago.
Also, the Philadelphia Flyers are in the driver’s seat at home with a 1-0 lead at the end of the first period. If they could hold on, the team could force an improbable Game 7 after Boston built a 3-0 series deficit. We’ll keep you up-to-date on both of tonight’s games, so stay tuned.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)