May 12, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
Things were looking really grim for the Pittsburgh Penguins for a while there. They went down 4-0 to Montreal at one point after Travis Moen chased Marc-Andre Fleury thanks to an ugly shorthanded goal. At that point, it was looking like the Penguins would just be playing for pride. Now they have at least a prayer, down 4-2 going into the third.
The good news for Montreal is that they maintained their 2 goal lead going into the third period. The bad news is that the Penguins now have quite a bit of momentum, not to mention a 4-on-3 powerplay heading into the final frame.
It’s pretty hard to imagine the boa-constrictor defense of the Habs allowing four unanswered goals for a tie. The Penguins would need two goals in the third to do so and would also need to keep the Habs off the scoreboard, which is a pretty tall order against a goalie as steady and sometimes spectacular as Jaroslav Halak. If nothing else, we have a reason to keep watching a game that looked all but over not very long ago.
Also, the Philadelphia Flyers are in the driver’s seat at home with a 1-0 lead at the end of the first period. If they could hold on, the team could force an improbable Game 7 after Boston built a 3-0 series deficit. We’ll keep you up-to-date on both of tonight’s games, so stay tuned.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)