May 12, 2010, 11:17 PM EST
After playing a mostly heartless Game 5, the Boston Bruins had yet another chance to right the ship and finish off the now reinvigorated Philadelphia Flyers in Game 6 in Philadelphia. What they’d do, instead, was be met by a fresh and very game Flyers goaltender in Michael Leighton. Leighton shut down the Bruins and lead the way for a Flyers 2-1 victory to force a Game 7 on Friday night.
Mike Richards got Philly on the board in the first and Daniel Briere scored on the power play in the second to give the Flyers a lead they would not relinquish on the back of incredibly play by Michael Leighton. Leighton made 30 saves and lost his shutout bid with a minute to play in the game thanks to an extra-attacker goal by Milan Lucic. Boston would continue to threaten late but was unable to tie the game. Tuukka Rask made 25 saves in the loss.
For Boston, it marks a major failure to close out a series and now they’re faced with an “anything goes” kind of situation in Game 7. Only two teams in the NHL have ever come back after being down 3-0 in a series to win it: The 1975 New York Islanders in the quarterfinals against Pittsburgh and the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs against the Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals.
Boston fans know all too well about the last team to come back from an 0-3 hole to win, the 2004 Red Sox did it in the American League Championship Series. If you’re looking for your potential cruel twists of fate, I don’t imagine you’ll have to look any further than that.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)