May 12, 2010, 11:17 PM EDT
After playing a mostly heartless Game 5, the Boston Bruins had yet another chance to right the ship and finish off the now reinvigorated Philadelphia Flyers in Game 6 in Philadelphia. What they’d do, instead, was be met by a fresh and very game Flyers goaltender in Michael Leighton. Leighton shut down the Bruins and lead the way for a Flyers 2-1 victory to force a Game 7 on Friday night.
Mike Richards got Philly on the board in the first and Daniel Briere scored on the power play in the second to give the Flyers a lead they would not relinquish on the back of incredibly play by Michael Leighton. Leighton made 30 saves and lost his shutout bid with a minute to play in the game thanks to an extra-attacker goal by Milan Lucic. Boston would continue to threaten late but was unable to tie the game. Tuukka Rask made 25 saves in the loss.
For Boston, it marks a major failure to close out a series and now they’re faced with an “anything goes” kind of situation in Game 7. Only two teams in the NHL have ever come back after being down 3-0 in a series to win it: The 1975 New York Islanders in the quarterfinals against Pittsburgh and the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs against the Detroit Red Wings in the Stanley Cup Finals.
Boston fans know all too well about the last team to come back from an 0-3 hole to win, the 2004 Red Sox did it in the American League Championship Series. If you’re looking for your potential cruel twists of fate, I don’t imagine you’ll have to look any further than that.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)