May 12, 2010, 6:15 PM EST
We have two big games tonight and – barring an overtime in the Penguins-Canadiens Game 7 that would surely give me a heart attack – hockey fans should be able to watch all of one and a chunk of the other. Let’s take a look at the two big games, starting with the penultimate Pens game.
Montreal Canadiens at Pittsburgh Penguins – 7:00 PM ET (Versus, CBC, FS Pittsburgh)
Series tied 3-3
Hal Gill certainly has come a long way since the days when he was referred to as “a pylon.” At least in the playoffs. Gill is expected to play tonight, which will make this high-pressure tilt even more difficult for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Can Jaroslav Halak and the Montreal Canadiens go a stunning 5-0 in elimination games this playoffs or will the Penguins’ sizable attack zone and depth advantages finally catch up to the scrappy Habs? It should be an intriguing contest, for sure. It seems unfair to put too much pressure on Sidney Crosby, but he must feel eager to add another bullet point in his favor against his media appointed rival Alex Ovechkin.
Boston Bruins at Philadelphia Flyers – 8:00 PM ET (Versus joined in progress, NESN, CSN Philadelphia)
Bruins lead series 3-2
One must wonder if the Flyers might attract some peripheral New York Yankees fans if they keep it up. As you may remember, the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit before scorching their way to a long awaited World Series title. Could the Flyers help fans of that area get a sniff of revenge? It’s not quite the same situation, though, because the Bruins are bruised and battered. Really, each team is holding on for dear life. Could we see another Game 7 in the East or will the Bruins finally close out those pesky Flyers?
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 5
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 6
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 11
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 26
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 32
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 2