May 12, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
We have two big games tonight and – barring an overtime in the Penguins-Canadiens Game 7 that would surely give me a heart attack – hockey fans should be able to watch all of one and a chunk of the other. Let’s take a look at the two big games, starting with the penultimate Pens game.
Montreal Canadiens at Pittsburgh Penguins – 7:00 PM ET (Versus, CBC, FS Pittsburgh)
Series tied 3-3
Hal Gill certainly has come a long way since the days when he was referred to as “a pylon.” At least in the playoffs. Gill is expected to play tonight, which will make this high-pressure tilt even more difficult for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Can Jaroslav Halak and the Montreal Canadiens go a stunning 5-0 in elimination games this playoffs or will the Penguins’ sizable attack zone and depth advantages finally catch up to the scrappy Habs? It should be an intriguing contest, for sure. It seems unfair to put too much pressure on Sidney Crosby, but he must feel eager to add another bullet point in his favor against his media appointed rival Alex Ovechkin.
Boston Bruins at Philadelphia Flyers – 8:00 PM ET (Versus joined in progress, NESN, CSN Philadelphia)
Bruins lead series 3-2
One must wonder if the Flyers might attract some peripheral New York Yankees fans if they keep it up. As you may remember, the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit before scorching their way to a long awaited World Series title. Could the Flyers help fans of that area get a sniff of revenge? It’s not quite the same situation, though, because the Bruins are bruised and battered. Really, each team is holding on for dear life. Could we see another Game 7 in the East or will the Bruins finally close out those pesky Flyers?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)