May 11, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
What an absolutely brutal second period for the Vancouver Canucks. In my eyes, at least, you can’t blame any one player. Roberto Luongo allowed three goals, but his defense hung him out to dry each time. This is a total team effort, or lack thereof.
Troy Brouwer started the scoring off early in the second period with a nice re-direction goal thanks to a beautiful setup from Patrick Sharp. Merely 36 seconds later, Kris Versteeg took advantage of some poor defense on Shane O’Brien’s part to beat Luongo up high. You could hear a pin drop during much of the middle frame after those two rough tallies.
The Canucks showed a little bit of life late in the second, earning a powerplay in the final minute. Unfortunately Pavol Demitra made a boneheaded move at the blueline and allowed Dave Bolland to fight his way to a back-breaking shorthanded breakaway goal.
It’s difficult to foresee the Blackhawks coughing up a 3-0 lead in one period, especially considering how flat the Canucks looked during much of this game. Vancouver seems like it has no spring in its step right now. Can they hope for a miraculous third period or should they just call their travel agents right now?
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)