May 11, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
What an absolutely brutal second period for the Vancouver Canucks. In my eyes, at least, you can’t blame any one player. Roberto Luongo allowed three goals, but his defense hung him out to dry each time. This is a total team effort, or lack thereof.
Troy Brouwer started the scoring off early in the second period with a nice re-direction goal thanks to a beautiful setup from Patrick Sharp. Merely 36 seconds later, Kris Versteeg took advantage of some poor defense on Shane O’Brien’s part to beat Luongo up high. You could hear a pin drop during much of the middle frame after those two rough tallies.
The Canucks showed a little bit of life late in the second, earning a powerplay in the final minute. Unfortunately Pavol Demitra made a boneheaded move at the blueline and allowed Dave Bolland to fight his way to a back-breaking shorthanded breakaway goal.
It’s difficult to foresee the Blackhawks coughing up a 3-0 lead in one period, especially considering how flat the Canucks looked during much of this game. Vancouver seems like it has no spring in its step right now. Can they hope for a miraculous third period or should they just call their travel agents right now?
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)