May 11, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
What an absolutely brutal second period for the Vancouver Canucks. In my eyes, at least, you can’t blame any one player. Roberto Luongo allowed three goals, but his defense hung him out to dry each time. This is a total team effort, or lack thereof.
Troy Brouwer started the scoring off early in the second period with a nice re-direction goal thanks to a beautiful setup from Patrick Sharp. Merely 36 seconds later, Kris Versteeg took advantage of some poor defense on Shane O’Brien’s part to beat Luongo up high. You could hear a pin drop during much of the middle frame after those two rough tallies.
The Canucks showed a little bit of life late in the second, earning a powerplay in the final minute. Unfortunately Pavol Demitra made a boneheaded move at the blueline and allowed Dave Bolland to fight his way to a back-breaking shorthanded breakaway goal.
It’s difficult to foresee the Blackhawks coughing up a 3-0 lead in one period, especially considering how flat the Canucks looked during much of this game. Vancouver seems like it has no spring in its step right now. Can they hope for a miraculous third period or should they just call their travel agents right now?
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)