May 11, 2010, 2:07 PM EST
to a CBC report, the NHL has drawn up a 2010-2011 schedule that
includes a Winnipeg team as part of a contingency plan should the NHL
fail to keep the Coyotes in Arizona. Moving the franchise from Phoenix
to Winnipeg drastically alters the geography of the Western Conference.
As such, the report states that the Jets would play in the Northwest
Division and the Colorado Avalanche would then move to the Pacific.
right, we’d have the Avalanche in the Pacific. A division that was
superbly tough last season will only get much harder next year,
especially if the Avs continue to build upon a big year this season.
Some think that the NHL should have moved the Vancouver Canucks, who sit on the West Coast, but there’s thought that the league would want to keep the Northwest Division as full of Canadian teams as possible.
in the CBC report, we learn that the City of Glendale is facing
economic trouble on the eve of a vote to financially back the team for
losses for this past season and next. If the council votes against the
proposal, then we’re almost certain to see the franchise moved to
Phil Lieberman, a councillor in Glendale for 19 years, says the city
is already in serious financial trouble, facing a $14.7-million budget
shortfall this year.
“And I’m supposed to vote to give the NHL an unlimited amount of
money? If that isn’t tough, I don’t know what is,” Lieberman said,
adding that he intends to oppose the motion.
Despite the financial troubles of the city, the council will be
reluctant to give up on the team it made such a major investment when
moving the team to Glendale in the first place. Even a vote to keep the
team won’t necessarily be enough, however, as the NHL is wanting a buyer
for the team as soon as possible. So far, even if the city agrees to
pay back the NHL for losses for this past season, they have yet to come
close to an agreement with a potential buyer.
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 1
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 8
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)