May 11, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
It’s been a big couple days for news revolving around the Phoenix Coyotes and their future in either Arizona or maybe their original home, Winnipeg. Earlier today, Brandon shared news that the league is at least putting together a ‘Plan B’ with its 2010-11 schedule that includes a Winnipeg “contingency plan.”
Talks between Ice Edge Holdings and the city of Glendale on a new lease agreement for the Phoenix Coyotes are not dead but “probably more like taking a nap,” a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
The person, who asked for anonymity because of the private nature of the situation, told the AP that the city was focusing on talks with the NHL over the league’s request for cash, probably $20 million to $25 million, to cover next season’s operating losses while sale of the team is completed.
The matter was on the agenda for the Glendale city council meeting Tuesday night.
This story is the “mafia” of NHL ownership stories: every time you think that there’s some clarity and you find your way “out” of it, a new wrinkle surfaces to pull you “back in.” There’s a chance that there might be more breaking news on the situation tonight or early tomorrow because of the Glendale city council meeting scheduled to take place soon. We’ll let you know if any comes along.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)