May 11, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
It’s been a big couple days for news revolving around the Phoenix Coyotes and their future in either Arizona or maybe their original home, Winnipeg. Earlier today, Brandon shared news that the league is at least putting together a ‘Plan B’ with its 2010-11 schedule that includes a Winnipeg “contingency plan.”
Talks between Ice Edge Holdings and the city of Glendale on a new lease agreement for the Phoenix Coyotes are not dead but “probably more like taking a nap,” a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
The person, who asked for anonymity because of the private nature of the situation, told the AP that the city was focusing on talks with the NHL over the league’s request for cash, probably $20 million to $25 million, to cover next season’s operating losses while sale of the team is completed.
The matter was on the agenda for the Glendale city council meeting Tuesday night.
This story is the “mafia” of NHL ownership stories: every time you think that there’s some clarity and you find your way “out” of it, a new wrinkle surfaces to pull you “back in.” There’s a chance that there might be more breaking news on the situation tonight or early tomorrow because of the Glendale city council meeting scheduled to take place soon. We’ll let you know if any comes along.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 0
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 10
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 27
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (150)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)