May 11, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
It’s been a big couple days for news revolving around the Phoenix Coyotes and their future in either Arizona or maybe their original home, Winnipeg. Earlier today, Brandon shared news that the league is at least putting together a ‘Plan B’ with its 2010-11 schedule that includes a Winnipeg “contingency plan.”
Talks between Ice Edge Holdings and the city of Glendale on a new lease agreement for the Phoenix Coyotes are not dead but “probably more like taking a nap,” a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
The person, who asked for anonymity because of the private nature of the situation, told the AP that the city was focusing on talks with the NHL over the league’s request for cash, probably $20 million to $25 million, to cover next season’s operating losses while sale of the team is completed.
The matter was on the agenda for the Glendale city council meeting Tuesday night.
This story is the “mafia” of NHL ownership stories: every time you think that there’s some clarity and you find your way “out” of it, a new wrinkle surfaces to pull you “back in.” There’s a chance that there might be more breaking news on the situation tonight or early tomorrow because of the Glendale city council meeting scheduled to take place soon. We’ll let you know if any comes along.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)