May 11, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
There are plenty of grizzly, cringe-inducing injuries in hockey. Even a routine (but hard) hit in the boards would make many people re-consider their dreams of putting on their favorite team’s uniform. Still, there are moments that can reduce even these He-Man clones into mere mortals.
Especially when something happens to their testicles.
Sami Salo’s puck to the groin scared many (and sure, made some giggle when they read “ruptured testicles”) on Sunday night. The fact that he’s a game-time decision shows that he’s a hockey player (in other words, he’s very tough). This prompted one of my favorite bloggers – hockey historian Joe Pelletier – to take a look at some of the worst hockey injuries of all-time. Here are a few of the highlights.
- Bill Masterton and Don Sanderson dying after hitting their head on the ice.
- Clint Malarchuk and Richard Zednik having their necks sliced, nearly perishing on live TV.
- Borje Salming having his face stepped on by a skate, requiring 250 stitches to repair him.
- Trent McCleary taking a puck to the throat.
I read various reports that indicated that trainers were forced to nearly strangle Zednik to keep him from bleeding to death. The next season, Zednik scored a couple highlight reel goals. Hockey players are awesome.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22