May 11, 2010, 7:30 PM EST
There are plenty of grizzly, cringe-inducing injuries in hockey. Even a routine (but hard) hit in the boards would make many people re-consider their dreams of putting on their favorite team’s uniform. Still, there are moments that can reduce even these He-Man clones into mere mortals.
Especially when something happens to their testicles.
Sami Salo’s puck to the groin scared many (and sure, made some giggle when they read “ruptured testicles”) on Sunday night. The fact that he’s a game-time decision shows that he’s a hockey player (in other words, he’s very tough). This prompted one of my favorite bloggers – hockey historian Joe Pelletier – to take a look at some of the worst hockey injuries of all-time. Here are a few of the highlights.
- Bill Masterton and Don Sanderson dying after hitting their head on the ice.
- Clint Malarchuk and Richard Zednik having their necks sliced, nearly perishing on live TV.
- Borje Salming having his face stepped on by a skate, requiring 250 stitches to repair him.
- Trent McCleary taking a puck to the throat.
I read various reports that indicated that trainers were forced to nearly strangle Zednik to keep him from bleeding to death. The next season, Zednik scored a couple highlight reel goals. Hockey players are awesome.
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 0
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 3
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)