May 11, 2010, 7:30 PM EST
There are plenty of grizzly, cringe-inducing injuries in hockey. Even a routine (but hard) hit in the boards would make many people re-consider their dreams of putting on their favorite team’s uniform. Still, there are moments that can reduce even these He-Man clones into mere mortals.
Especially when something happens to their testicles.
Sami Salo’s puck to the groin scared many (and sure, made some giggle when they read “ruptured testicles”) on Sunday night. The fact that he’s a game-time decision shows that he’s a hockey player (in other words, he’s very tough). This prompted one of my favorite bloggers – hockey historian Joe Pelletier – to take a look at some of the worst hockey injuries of all-time. Here are a few of the highlights.
- Bill Masterton and Don Sanderson dying after hitting their head on the ice.
- Clint Malarchuk and Richard Zednik having their necks sliced, nearly perishing on live TV.
- Borje Salming having his face stepped on by a skate, requiring 250 stitches to repair him.
- Trent McCleary taking a puck to the throat.
I read various reports that indicated that trainers were forced to nearly strangle Zednik to keep him from bleeding to death. The next season, Zednik scored a couple highlight reel goals. Hockey players are awesome.
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 6
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63