May 11, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
There are plenty of grizzly, cringe-inducing injuries in hockey. Even a routine (but hard) hit in the boards would make many people re-consider their dreams of putting on their favorite team’s uniform. Still, there are moments that can reduce even these He-Man clones into mere mortals.
Especially when something happens to their testicles.
Sami Salo’s puck to the groin scared many (and sure, made some giggle when they read “ruptured testicles”) on Sunday night. The fact that he’s a game-time decision shows that he’s a hockey player (in other words, he’s very tough). This prompted one of my favorite bloggers – hockey historian Joe Pelletier – to take a look at some of the worst hockey injuries of all-time. Here are a few of the highlights.
- Bill Masterton and Don Sanderson dying after hitting their head on the ice.
- Clint Malarchuk and Richard Zednik having their necks sliced, nearly perishing on live TV.
- Borje Salming having his face stepped on by a skate, requiring 250 stitches to repair him.
- Trent McCleary taking a puck to the throat.
I read various reports that indicated that trainers were forced to nearly strangle Zednik to keep him from bleeding to death. The next season, Zednik scored a couple highlight reel goals. Hockey players are awesome.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)