May 11, 2010, 10:35 PM EDT
Both Roberto Luongo and Antti NIemi were sharp in the first period, keeping the score 0-0 as the Canucks had 13 shots and the Blackhawks had 12. There were some quality scoring chances on each end but neither team could pierce the netminders in a tight-checking opening frame.
Sami Salo showed real … courage so far. He already played 5:11 in the first and they’ll need the tough Finn to play more as this game goes along since it appears another Vancouver defenseman might be having injury problems. It appears that Dustin Byfuglien “stepped” on Alex Edler, giving the oft-injured but talented blueliner a serious cut. No word yet on whether or not Edler will be back in this game, but some Canucks fans are upset that coach Alain Vigneault decided not to dress seven defensemen.
Though the shots on goal were similar in the first period, it seemed as if “Sponge Bob” saw the most action in the game so far and it wouldn’t be a surprise if that trend continues. Luongo had a redemptive Game 5, but the much-touted goalie will have to continue to play great hockey if the Canucks hope to fight their way to a deciding Game 7 on Thursday.
Stick around for more updates as the night goes along.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)