May 11, 2010, 10:35 PM EDT
Both Roberto Luongo and Antti NIemi were sharp in the first period, keeping the score 0-0 as the Canucks had 13 shots and the Blackhawks had 12. There were some quality scoring chances on each end but neither team could pierce the netminders in a tight-checking opening frame.
Sami Salo showed real … courage so far. He already played 5:11 in the first and they’ll need the tough Finn to play more as this game goes along since it appears another Vancouver defenseman might be having injury problems. It appears that Dustin Byfuglien “stepped” on Alex Edler, giving the oft-injured but talented blueliner a serious cut. No word yet on whether or not Edler will be back in this game, but some Canucks fans are upset that coach Alain Vigneault decided not to dress seven defensemen.
Though the shots on goal were similar in the first period, it seemed as if “Sponge Bob” saw the most action in the game so far and it wouldn’t be a surprise if that trend continues. Luongo had a redemptive Game 5, but the much-touted goalie will have to continue to play great hockey if the Canucks hope to fight their way to a deciding Game 7 on Thursday.
Stick around for more updates as the night goes along.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)