May 11, 2010, 10:35 PM EDT
Both Roberto Luongo and Antti NIemi were sharp in the first period, keeping the score 0-0 as the Canucks had 13 shots and the Blackhawks had 12. There were some quality scoring chances on each end but neither team could pierce the netminders in a tight-checking opening frame.
Sami Salo showed real … courage so far. He already played 5:11 in the first and they’ll need the tough Finn to play more as this game goes along since it appears another Vancouver defenseman might be having injury problems. It appears that Dustin Byfuglien “stepped” on Alex Edler, giving the oft-injured but talented blueliner a serious cut. No word yet on whether or not Edler will be back in this game, but some Canucks fans are upset that coach Alain Vigneault decided not to dress seven defensemen.
Though the shots on goal were similar in the first period, it seemed as if “Sponge Bob” saw the most action in the game so far and it wouldn’t be a surprise if that trend continues. Luongo had a redemptive Game 5, but the much-touted goalie will have to continue to play great hockey if the Canucks hope to fight their way to a deciding Game 7 on Thursday.
Stick around for more updates as the night goes along.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)