May 11, 2010, 10:35 PM EDT
Both Roberto Luongo and Antti NIemi were sharp in the first period, keeping the score 0-0 as the Canucks had 13 shots and the Blackhawks had 12. There were some quality scoring chances on each end but neither team could pierce the netminders in a tight-checking opening frame.
Sami Salo showed real … courage so far. He already played 5:11 in the first and they’ll need the tough Finn to play more as this game goes along since it appears another Vancouver defenseman might be having injury problems. It appears that Dustin Byfuglien “stepped” on Alex Edler, giving the oft-injured but talented blueliner a serious cut. No word yet on whether or not Edler will be back in this game, but some Canucks fans are upset that coach Alain Vigneault decided not to dress seven defensemen.
Though the shots on goal were similar in the first period, it seemed as if “Sponge Bob” saw the most action in the game so far and it wouldn’t be a surprise if that trend continues. Luongo had a redemptive Game 5, but the much-touted goalie will have to continue to play great hockey if the Canucks hope to fight their way to a deciding Game 7 on Thursday.
Stick around for more updates as the night goes along.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 1
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 22
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)