May 11, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
Earlier tonight I shared a report that Ice Edge Holdings might not actually be all the way out of negotiations to own the Phoenix Coyotes. The saga continues tonight and this time around, there’s some more (potentially) good news for fans hoping the team stays put. Here’s the story from the Associated Press.
The Glendale city council is considering guaranteeing the NHL up to $25 million to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in Jobing.com Arena for the 2010-2011 season.
But city manager Ed Beasley and NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the council that the sale of the Coyotes is expected to close by the end of June and that the payments may never be needed.
One other important nugget is that while Jerry Reinsdorf’s offer might be out of the running, the Chicago White Sox owner isn’t out of the potential owner picture altogether. TSN’s Bob McKenzie backed up this sentiment in this Tweet.
To little surprise, this matter is still murky to say the least. We’ll keep you updated as news filters in, even if the see-saw nature of the news almost makes the situation seem like a dog (or a Coyote?) chasing its own tail.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 24
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)