May 11, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
Earlier tonight I shared a report that Ice Edge Holdings might not actually be all the way out of negotiations to own the Phoenix Coyotes. The saga continues tonight and this time around, there’s some more (potentially) good news for fans hoping the team stays put. Here’s the story from the Associated Press.
The Glendale city council is considering guaranteeing the NHL up to $25 million to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in Jobing.com Arena for the 2010-2011 season.
But city manager Ed Beasley and NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the council that the sale of the Coyotes is expected to close by the end of June and that the payments may never be needed.
One other important nugget is that while Jerry Reinsdorf’s offer might be out of the running, the Chicago White Sox owner isn’t out of the potential owner picture altogether. TSN’s Bob McKenzie backed up this sentiment in this Tweet.
To little surprise, this matter is still murky to say the least. We’ll keep you updated as news filters in, even if the see-saw nature of the news almost makes the situation seem like a dog (or a Coyote?) chasing its own tail.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 9
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 18
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games