May 11, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
Earlier tonight I shared a report that Ice Edge Holdings might not actually be all the way out of negotiations to own the Phoenix Coyotes. The saga continues tonight and this time around, there’s some more (potentially) good news for fans hoping the team stays put. Here’s the story from the Associated Press.
The Glendale city council is considering guaranteeing the NHL up to $25 million to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in Jobing.com Arena for the 2010-2011 season.
But city manager Ed Beasley and NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the council that the sale of the Coyotes is expected to close by the end of June and that the payments may never be needed.
One other important nugget is that while Jerry Reinsdorf’s offer might be out of the running, the Chicago White Sox owner isn’t out of the potential owner picture altogether. TSN’s Bob McKenzie backed up this sentiment in this Tweet.
To little surprise, this matter is still murky to say the least. We’ll keep you updated as news filters in, even if the see-saw nature of the news almost makes the situation seem like a dog (or a Coyote?) chasing its own tail.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 19
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)