May 11, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
Earlier tonight I shared a report that Ice Edge Holdings might not actually be all the way out of negotiations to own the Phoenix Coyotes. The saga continues tonight and this time around, there’s some more (potentially) good news for fans hoping the team stays put. Here’s the story from the Associated Press.
The Glendale city council is considering guaranteeing the NHL up to $25 million to keep the Phoenix Coyotes in Jobing.com Arena for the 2010-2011 season.
But city manager Ed Beasley and NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the council that the sale of the Coyotes is expected to close by the end of June and that the payments may never be needed.
One other important nugget is that while Jerry Reinsdorf’s offer might be out of the running, the Chicago White Sox owner isn’t out of the potential owner picture altogether. TSN’s Bob McKenzie backed up this sentiment in this Tweet.
To little surprise, this matter is still murky to say the least. We’ll keep you updated as news filters in, even if the see-saw nature of the news almost makes the situation seem like a dog (or a Coyote?) chasing its own tail.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 1
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)