May 11, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have announced they have signed goaltender Kari Lehtonen to a three-year contract extension, worth $10.65 million and $3.55 million a season.
It’s likely, as it is with the other contracts Joe Nieuwendyk has handed out lately, that the deal is backloaded to alleviate some of the stress on the Stars’ limited payroll.
Here’s the press release:
Dallas Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk announced
today that the hockey club and goaltender Kari Lehtonen have agreed to
terms on a three-year contract extension worth $10.65 million ($3.55
million per year average). This extension will put Lehtonen under
contract through the 2012-13 season.
“We were excited to acquire Kari Lehtonen in February because of his
size, skill and potential to once again be a top-tier goaltender in this
league,” Nieuwendyk said. “His play during the last month of the season
reaffirmed our belief that he can be our starter for next year and
seasons to come. We’re very happy to agree to terms with Kari on this
Lehtonen, 26, posted a 6-3-0 record with a 2.44 GAA and a .926 save
percentage over his last nine games for the Stars this season. He played
in 12 total games with Dallas, going 6-4-0 with a 2.81 GAA and a .911
save percentage in 2009-10 for Dallas. The 6-4, 215-pound goaltender’s
best season came in 2006-07 when he led the Thrashers to their first
Southeast division title. He went 34-24-9 including four shutouts with a
2.79 GAA and a .912 save percentage. Lehtonen was acquired via trade
with the Atlanta Thrashers on February 9, 2010 in exchange for Ivan
Vishnevskiy and Dallas’ fourth round draft choice in the 2010 NHL Entry
The native of Helsinki, Finland, has played in 216 career NHL games,
posting a 100-87-17 record with a 2.87 GAA and a .912 save percentage.
He was drafted second overall by Atlanta in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)