May 11, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
PHT’s own Joe Yerdon is doing a great job covering the 2010 IIHF World Hockey Championships for Universal Sports. (Check out the official blog here.)
In today’s action, Norway beat the Czech Republic for the first time in 73 years in a world hockey championship competition, winning 3-2.
Here’s more from the Tuesday’s games via Yerdon’s report.
Sweden took charge of Group C with a 3-2 win over France and now lead the group with six points. Norway and the Czechs are tied with three points each while France sits at the bottom with zero. France is not doomed for relegation yet, however, as a regulation win over Norway would allow them to advance and send Norway to relegation.
Russia disposed of Kazakhstan 4-1 and did so with the big names showing up to lead the way. Alex Ovechkin, Alex Semin, Ilya Kovalchuk and Denis Grebeshkov (OK so they’re not all huge stars) all had goals for Russia who now has a stranglehold on the top spot in Group A. Slovakia had to storm back against Belarus to prevent being put in potential relegation trouble but did win 4-2 on the strength of two Milan Bartovic goals. Slovakia will have to keep their heads about them against Kazakhstan on Thursday and earn a point to stay out the relegation zone.
Want more information about the 2010 IIHF World Championships?
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 8
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 71
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)