May 11, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
PHT’s own Joe Yerdon is doing a great job covering the 2010 IIHF World Hockey Championships for Universal Sports. (Check out the official blog here.)
In today’s action, Norway beat the Czech Republic for the first time in 73 years in a world hockey championship competition, winning 3-2.
Here’s more from the Tuesday’s games via Yerdon’s report.
Sweden took charge of Group C with a 3-2 win over France and now lead the group with six points. Norway and the Czechs are tied with three points each while France sits at the bottom with zero. France is not doomed for relegation yet, however, as a regulation win over Norway would allow them to advance and send Norway to relegation.
Russia disposed of Kazakhstan 4-1 and did so with the big names showing up to lead the way. Alex Ovechkin, Alex Semin, Ilya Kovalchuk and Denis Grebeshkov (OK so they’re not all huge stars) all had goals for Russia who now has a stranglehold on the top spot in Group A. Slovakia had to storm back against Belarus to prevent being put in potential relegation trouble but did win 4-2 on the strength of two Milan Bartovic goals. Slovakia will have to keep their heads about them against Kazakhstan on Thursday and earn a point to stay out the relegation zone.
Want more information about the 2010 IIHF World Championships?
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)