May 10, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
The NHL rarely deals with the steroid backlash that hounds Major League Baseball and troubles the NFL. Some, like former World Anti-Doping Agency head Dick Pound, wonder if it’s simply because of the league’s drug testing policies.
Former WADA chair Dick Pound has been harshly critical of the NHL’s approach to doping, alleging in the past that as many as 30 per cent of hockey players are using performance-enhancing substances.
Current WADA chair John Fahey said that he’s disappointed that the league isn’t fully compliant with the world anti-doping code but that the agency is working with the NHL to expand its testing.
WADA chair John Fahey says talks continue with the league to try to widen the window of time during which players can be tested.
Currently the NHL allows players to be tested up to three times a season but none of those tests can occur in the playoffs or during the summer.
Fahey says the limitation is disappointing, but WADA is making some progress in talks with the league.
We’ll keep you up to date on the league’s policies when/if they evolve.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)