May 10, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
The NHL rarely deals with the steroid backlash that hounds Major League Baseball and troubles the NFL. Some, like former World Anti-Doping Agency head Dick Pound, wonder if it’s simply because of the league’s drug testing policies.
Former WADA chair Dick Pound has been harshly critical of the NHL’s approach to doping, alleging in the past that as many as 30 per cent of hockey players are using performance-enhancing substances.
Current WADA chair John Fahey said that he’s disappointed that the league isn’t fully compliant with the world anti-doping code but that the agency is working with the NHL to expand its testing.
WADA chair John Fahey says talks continue with the league to try to widen the window of time during which players can be tested.
Currently the NHL allows players to be tested up to three times a season but none of those tests can occur in the playoffs or during the summer.
Fahey says the limitation is disappointing, but WADA is making some progress in talks with the league.
We’ll keep you up to date on the league’s policies when/if they evolve.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (113)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)