May 10, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
The NHL rarely deals with the steroid backlash that hounds Major League Baseball and troubles the NFL. Some, like former World Anti-Doping Agency head Dick Pound, wonder if it’s simply because of the league’s drug testing policies.
Former WADA chair Dick Pound has been harshly critical of the NHL’s approach to doping, alleging in the past that as many as 30 per cent of hockey players are using performance-enhancing substances.
Current WADA chair John Fahey said that he’s disappointed that the league isn’t fully compliant with the world anti-doping code but that the agency is working with the NHL to expand its testing.
WADA chair John Fahey says talks continue with the league to try to widen the window of time during which players can be tested.
Currently the NHL allows players to be tested up to three times a season but none of those tests can occur in the playoffs or during the summer.
Fahey says the limitation is disappointing, but WADA is making some progress in talks with the league.
We’ll keep you up to date on the league’s policies when/if they evolve.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 17
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)