May 10, 2010, 3:15 PM EST
Team USA’s World Championship team was upset once again 2-1 in overtime. This time the surging underdog Denmark team did it to them, with Stefan Lassen scoring the game winner in OT.
It was the Americans’ second straight overtime loss in the tournament after falling by the same score against Germany, and they now need to beat Finland in the last group game to reach the next round.
Lassen’s wrist shot was stopped by U.S. goaltender Scott Clemmensen, but the defenseman tapped in the rebound 2:04 into the overtime period to hand the Americans an embarrassing loss.
Here’s a little more on the World Championships.
Also Monday, Switzerland reached the second round with a 3-0 victory over Italy in Group B. Thibaut Monnet, Damien Brunner and Martin Pluss scored for the Swiss.
Later, Germany played Finland in Group D and Canada faced Latvia in Group B.
Things aren’t looking great for the Americans, but then again, it would be bad to get too spoiled right? The Vancouver Olympics team earned a silver medal while the Junior World Championship team banked a gold.
Like I said to Joe (who is covering the tournament for Universal Sports), when Scott Clemmensen is your No. 1 goalie … you better be an AHL team. And with all respect to Kyle Okposo, if the budding power forward is possibly your top scorer while other teams sport players like Steven Stamkos (Canada) or Alex Ovechkin (Russia), you might have a little trouble filling the net.
Not all hope is lost for the U.S., but it’s difficult to envision a medal of any kind for the underwhelming squad right now.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 18
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 5
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 15
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 10
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4