May 10, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Team USA’s World Championship team was upset once again 2-1 in overtime. This time the surging underdog Denmark team did it to them, with Stefan Lassen scoring the game winner in OT.
It was the Americans’ second straight overtime loss in the tournament after falling by the same score against Germany, and they now need to beat Finland in the last group game to reach the next round.
Lassen’s wrist shot was stopped by U.S. goaltender Scott Clemmensen, but the defenseman tapped in the rebound 2:04 into the overtime period to hand the Americans an embarrassing loss.
Here’s a little more on the World Championships.
Also Monday, Switzerland reached the second round with a 3-0 victory over Italy in Group B. Thibaut Monnet, Damien Brunner and Martin Pluss scored for the Swiss.
Later, Germany played Finland in Group D and Canada faced Latvia in Group B.
Things aren’t looking great for the Americans, but then again, it would be bad to get too spoiled right? The Vancouver Olympics team earned a silver medal while the Junior World Championship team banked a gold.
Like I said to Joe (who is covering the tournament for Universal Sports), when Scott Clemmensen is your No. 1 goalie … you better be an AHL team. And with all respect to Kyle Okposo, if the budding power forward is possibly your top scorer while other teams sport players like Steven Stamkos (Canada) or Alex Ovechkin (Russia), you might have a little trouble filling the net.
Not all hope is lost for the U.S., but it’s difficult to envision a medal of any kind for the underwhelming squad right now.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38