May 10, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Team USA’s World Championship team was upset once again 2-1 in overtime. This time the surging underdog Denmark team did it to them, with Stefan Lassen scoring the game winner in OT.
It was the Americans’ second straight overtime loss in the tournament after falling by the same score against Germany, and they now need to beat Finland in the last group game to reach the next round.
Lassen’s wrist shot was stopped by U.S. goaltender Scott Clemmensen, but the defenseman tapped in the rebound 2:04 into the overtime period to hand the Americans an embarrassing loss.
Here’s a little more on the World Championships.
Also Monday, Switzerland reached the second round with a 3-0 victory over Italy in Group B. Thibaut Monnet, Damien Brunner and Martin Pluss scored for the Swiss.
Later, Germany played Finland in Group D and Canada faced Latvia in Group B.
Things aren’t looking great for the Americans, but then again, it would be bad to get too spoiled right? The Vancouver Olympics team earned a silver medal while the Junior World Championship team banked a gold.
Like I said to Joe (who is covering the tournament for Universal Sports), when Scott Clemmensen is your No. 1 goalie … you better be an AHL team. And with all respect to Kyle Okposo, if the budding power forward is possibly your top scorer while other teams sport players like Steven Stamkos (Canada) or Alex Ovechkin (Russia), you might have a little trouble filling the net.
Not all hope is lost for the U.S., but it’s difficult to envision a medal of any kind for the underwhelming squad right now.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)