May 10, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Team USA’s World Championship team was upset once again 2-1 in overtime. This time the surging underdog Denmark team did it to them, with Stefan Lassen scoring the game winner in OT.
It was the Americans’ second straight overtime loss in the tournament after falling by the same score against Germany, and they now need to beat Finland in the last group game to reach the next round.
Lassen’s wrist shot was stopped by U.S. goaltender Scott Clemmensen, but the defenseman tapped in the rebound 2:04 into the overtime period to hand the Americans an embarrassing loss.
Here’s a little more on the World Championships.
Also Monday, Switzerland reached the second round with a 3-0 victory over Italy in Group B. Thibaut Monnet, Damien Brunner and Martin Pluss scored for the Swiss.
Later, Germany played Finland in Group D and Canada faced Latvia in Group B.
Things aren’t looking great for the Americans, but then again, it would be bad to get too spoiled right? The Vancouver Olympics team earned a silver medal while the Junior World Championship team banked a gold.
Like I said to Joe (who is covering the tournament for Universal Sports), when Scott Clemmensen is your No. 1 goalie … you better be an AHL team. And with all respect to Kyle Okposo, if the budding power forward is possibly your top scorer while other teams sport players like Steven Stamkos (Canada) or Alex Ovechkin (Russia), you might have a little trouble filling the net.
Not all hope is lost for the U.S., but it’s difficult to envision a medal of any kind for the underwhelming squad right now.
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 0
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 17
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 16
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 16
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 19
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 69
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 101
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement