May 10, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Both of the Eastern Conference semifinals series could end tonight, possibly at almost the same exact time. Let’s take a look at Habs-Pens Game 6 and Flyers-Bruins Game 5.
Pittsburgh Penguins at Montreal Canadiens - 7:00 PM ET (Versus, CBC, FS Pittsburgh)
Penguins lead series 3-2
There are worries that young Habs fans will riot whether they win or lose this game. Let’s hope that the only reason writers use the word “riotous” is if they decide to use a hyperbolic phrase to describe an especially exciting period of play. Jaroslav Halak has been great for almost every game of the playoffs, but he was almost unbeatable in elimination games against the Washington Capitals. Meanwhile, Sidney Crosby has been awfully quiet while Hal Gill is hobbled. It should be an interesting game, especially since the Penguins have frequently won series on the road.
Philadelphia Flyers at Boston Bruns – 7:00 PM ET (TSN, CSN Philadelphia, NESN)
Bruins lead series 3-1
If you have any doubts about the Bruins being relevant in Boston again, check this out from Kukla’s Korner.
The Bruins averaged a 8.3 local rating on VERSUS, the Red Sox a 6.3 local rating on NESN and the Celtics a 4.1 local rating on ESPN.
The Flyers and Bruins are both pretty banged up so each team should have motivation to take this one. Boston badly needs to heal up from their variety of injuries while the Flyers are fighting for their playoff lives. This series has been surprisingly entertaining, considering the Bruins often play such a conservative style. Can they finish off the pesky Flyers?
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)