May 10, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Both of the Eastern Conference semifinals series could end tonight, possibly at almost the same exact time. Let’s take a look at Habs-Pens Game 6 and Flyers-Bruins Game 5.
Pittsburgh Penguins at Montreal Canadiens - 7:00 PM ET (Versus, CBC, FS Pittsburgh)
Penguins lead series 3-2
There are worries that young Habs fans will riot whether they win or lose this game. Let’s hope that the only reason writers use the word “riotous” is if they decide to use a hyperbolic phrase to describe an especially exciting period of play. Jaroslav Halak has been great for almost every game of the playoffs, but he was almost unbeatable in elimination games against the Washington Capitals. Meanwhile, Sidney Crosby has been awfully quiet while Hal Gill is hobbled. It should be an interesting game, especially since the Penguins have frequently won series on the road.
Philadelphia Flyers at Boston Bruns – 7:00 PM ET (TSN, CSN Philadelphia, NESN)
Bruins lead series 3-1
If you have any doubts about the Bruins being relevant in Boston again, check this out from Kukla’s Korner.
The Bruins averaged a 8.3 local rating on VERSUS, the Red Sox a 6.3 local rating on NESN and the Celtics a 4.1 local rating on ESPN.
The Flyers and Bruins are both pretty banged up so each team should have motivation to take this one. Boston badly needs to heal up from their variety of injuries while the Flyers are fighting for their playoff lives. This series has been surprisingly entertaining, considering the Bruins often play such a conservative style. Can they finish off the pesky Flyers?
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)