May 10, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Both of the Eastern Conference semifinals series could end tonight, possibly at almost the same exact time. Let’s take a look at Habs-Pens Game 6 and Flyers-Bruins Game 5.
Pittsburgh Penguins at Montreal Canadiens - 7:00 PM ET (Versus, CBC, FS Pittsburgh)
Penguins lead series 3-2
There are worries that young Habs fans will riot whether they win or lose this game. Let’s hope that the only reason writers use the word “riotous” is if they decide to use a hyperbolic phrase to describe an especially exciting period of play. Jaroslav Halak has been great for almost every game of the playoffs, but he was almost unbeatable in elimination games against the Washington Capitals. Meanwhile, Sidney Crosby has been awfully quiet while Hal Gill is hobbled. It should be an interesting game, especially since the Penguins have frequently won series on the road.
Philadelphia Flyers at Boston Bruns - 7:00 PM ET (TSN, CSN Philadelphia, NESN)
Bruins lead series 3-1
If you have any doubts about the Bruins being relevant in Boston again, check this out from Kukla’s Korner.
The Bruins averaged a 8.3 local rating on VERSUS, the Red Sox a 6.3 local rating on NESN and the Celtics a 4.1 local rating on ESPN.
The Flyers and Bruins are both pretty banged up so each team should have motivation to take this one. Boston badly needs to heal up from their variety of injuries while the Flyers are fighting for their playoff lives. This series has been surprisingly entertaining, considering the Bruins often play such a conservative style. Can they finish off the pesky Flyers?
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 0
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 10
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 37
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton