May 9, 2010, 9:37 PM EDT
While the Vancouver Canucks are doing a great job of playing a perfect road game, up
2-0 3-0 in the second period, they are now facing a serious shortage on the blue line.
Defenseman Sami Salo took a puck somewhere off his midsection at the end of the first period, and was down on the ice for a good amount of time before finally being gingerly helped off the ice. At first it seemed he may have been hit on the wrist, but then word came that not only was he out for the game but was being taken to the hospital on a stretcher.
We have no word on what the specific injury is, although judging by the camera shots of him being loaded into the ambulance it may be for purely precautionary reasons. Seeing how he reacted to the hit, and the new he was headed to the hospital, immediately you start to think about possible internal injuries from the puck hitting an unprotected part of his body.
Nevertheless, we won’t speculate and wait for word on his injury (as much as they’ll fill us in). In the meantime, the Canucks lost another defensemen in the second period when Shane O’Brien took a Dustin Byfuglien stick off the forehead. He was taken off the ice, gushing blood onto the ice and at first it looked like he might be in danger of not returning.
Of course, this is hockey. O’Brien received a couple of butterfly stitches and was right back out on the ice at the end of the second period.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)