May 9, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at some of today’s injury tidbits.
Dan Carcillo expected back on Monday
Philly.com reports that the super-pest is supposed to play in Game 5 against the Boston Bruins. He missed the third period and overtime of Game 4 because of what looked like a knee injury. Carcillo’s been a difference maker (although sometimes – as with many pests – the outcome can be negative) so this is great news for the Philadelphia Flyers.
Return of the “Pain Sponge”?
The man they (and by “they” I mean “I”) call “The Pain Sponge” skated for the first time in quite a while yesterday. Dennis Seidenberg reportedly isn’t expected to be back until early June, but this is the playoffs. If Jordan Staal and Hal Gill (more on him below) can teach us anything, it’s that hockey players are crazy relentless cyborgs who fail to feel pain. Or something like that.
Hal Gill could be back for Game 6 against Penguins
Few expected Jordan Staal to be back so soon after tearing a tendon and having to get surgery, so maybe Gill is suffering from some playoff rehabilitation peer pressure. Here’s more from Habs Inside/Out.
Canadiens defenceman Hal Gill spent the night in Pittsburgh, having left Game 5 with a cut to his leg when accidentally stepped on by Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz early in the third period.
Gill was seen at the Pittsburgh airport an hour or so ago with Canadiens doctor David Mulder, bound for Montreal this morning. He told Ottawa Sun colleague Chris Stevenson, “I hope to play (Monday), it’s just a cut.”
Jaroslav Spacek’s return imminent?
Finally, the Ottawa Sun has the lowdown on Spacek and his wacky injury/illness/typhoid fever/whatever it is.
The return of Canadiens veteran defenceman Jaroslav Spacek, who has missed the last eight games with an illness that left him suffering from vertigo, also remains a possibility for Monday night. He has apparently been cleared by the Canadiens medical staff to play and skated hard again after Saturday’s morning skate.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)