May 9, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at some of today’s injury tidbits.
Dan Carcillo expected back on Monday
Philly.com reports that the super-pest is supposed to play in Game 5 against the Boston Bruins. He missed the third period and overtime of Game 4 because of what looked like a knee injury. Carcillo’s been a difference maker (although sometimes – as with many pests – the outcome can be negative) so this is great news for the Philadelphia Flyers.
Return of the “Pain Sponge”?
The man they (and by “they” I mean “I”) call “The Pain Sponge” skated for the first time in quite a while yesterday. Dennis Seidenberg reportedly isn’t expected to be back until early June, but this is the playoffs. If Jordan Staal and Hal Gill (more on him below) can teach us anything, it’s that hockey players are crazy relentless cyborgs who fail to feel pain. Or something like that.
Hal Gill could be back for Game 6 against Penguins
Few expected Jordan Staal to be back so soon after tearing a tendon and having to get surgery, so maybe Gill is suffering from some playoff rehabilitation peer pressure. Here’s more from Habs Inside/Out.
Canadiens defenceman Hal Gill spent the night in Pittsburgh, having left Game 5 with a cut to his leg when accidentally stepped on by Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz early in the third period.
Gill was seen at the Pittsburgh airport an hour or so ago with Canadiens doctor David Mulder, bound for Montreal this morning. He told Ottawa Sun colleague Chris Stevenson, “I hope to play (Monday), it’s just a cut.”
Jaroslav Spacek’s return imminent?
Finally, the Ottawa Sun has the lowdown on Spacek and his wacky injury/illness/typhoid fever/whatever it is.
The return of Canadiens veteran defenceman Jaroslav Spacek, who has missed the last eight games with an illness that left him suffering from vertigo, also remains a possibility for Monday night. He has apparently been cleared by the Canadiens medical staff to play and skated hard again after Saturday’s morning skate.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 25
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)