May 9, 2010, 3:15 PM EST
For the most part, the reactions to the Detroit Red Wings losing to the San Jose Sharks have been subdued. Pretty hard to argue with two runs to the Stanley Cup Finals, one Cup victory and approximately a generation of playoff runs, right?
Yes, the Red Wings are getting older. The NHL is a young man’s league now and this team is stocked nicely but with mostly 30-year-olds and graybeards. Here’s a quick look at the Red Wings 2010-11 salary cap situation. Figures are taken from CapGeek.com and numbers are rounded up in some cases for the sake of simplicity and sanity.
Detroit Red Wings 2010-11 Salary Cap Commitments
Forwards (7 out of 12): Datsyuk ($6.7 million), Zetterberg (6.08), Franzen (3.95), Filppula (3), Hudler (2.88), Cleary (2.8), Draper (1.58)
Defense (5 out of 6): Rafalski (6), Stuart (3.75), Kronwall (3), Ericsson (900k), Kindl (883k)
Goalies (2 out of 2): Osgood (1.42), Howard (717k)
Total commitments: $43.67 million
Cap space if the cap stays the same as the 09-10 season: $13.14 million
Noteworthy free agents: Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Helm
The two biggest free agents are Nicklas Lidstrom and Tomas Holmstrom, although Darren Helm can often be a catalyst for the team. Even Todd Bertuzzi – for all the times I’ve mocked him – could come back since he’s finally, you know, using his size to do something. Lidstrom and Holmstrom could cost the team anywhere from $8 million to $10 million against the cap, so the Red Wings look like they’ll be a fairly similar squad.
That doesn’t mean there aren’t any questions. Will Lidstrom and/or Holmstrom hang up their skates? Can Jimmy Howard deliver again after a surprise breakout season? Will their management decide that the current setup peaked and possibly do some minor rebuilding?
Either way, it doesn’t seem like the Red Wings are ready to panic and I don’t see anything wrong with that.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)