May 8, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Here’s a bit of scattered injury news from around the NHL. I didn’t come across much for Detroit and San Jose, but you will be informed if anything particularly noteworthy surfaces.
Updates on Andrei Markov, Jaroslav Spacek
There was some scuttlebutt about Andrei Markov possibly playing in the playoffs again despite “an unspecified knee injury,” but Habs Inside/Out flags down that rumor. The same entry also touches on the other Jaroslav (Spacek) in Montreal.
First, to toss a little cold water on those expecting an imminent return of Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov, who left Game 1 with an unspecified (knee) injury:
Habs head coach Jacques Martin says that Markov is on this trip simply because the team’s entire medical staff is here, and it’s easier for him to continue to undergo treatment here than in Montreal.
Defenceman Jaro Spacek is getting closer to a return, but he’s not there yet.
Jordan Staal building confidence, the Penguins’ possible lineup for tonight
Earlier I mentioned that Bill Guerin will most likely be in Pittsburgh’s lineup. Pensburgh’s game preview post points out that Jordan Staal grew more and more comfortable as Game 4 went along and may be able to play more minutes in tonight’s games. These two factors, plus a few probable shuffles when it comes to healthy scratches, could make for an altered Penguins lineup. Here’s the forward lines from the day’s morning skate, which could very well be who the team puts on the ice for tonight’s game (also from Pensburgh).
I’ve been impressed with Letestu from the limited amount I’ve seen him play (and not just because I enjoy calling him “Letestube Baby”). It’s a big game for both the Penguins and the Canadiens so we’ll see if Dan Bylsma’s adjustments pay off.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)