May 7, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Could the Winnipeg Jets be back again? It’s a question that circulated around the hockey world earlier this year and the recent headlines indicating difficulties in the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to Jerry Reinsdorf caused them to sprout up yet again. TSN’s Darren Dreger has more.
Winnipeg will soon find out whether or not the Phoenix Coyotes franchise will return to the city it once called home.
Sources tell TSN this decision will be made within the next three weeks, if not sooner.
With Jerry Reinsdorf’s deal to buy the Coyotes hanging precariously in limbo, sources say Glendale city officials are scrambling, trying to push Ice Edge Holdings to sign an agreement of exclusivity, with ties to the existing lease, in time to position a proposal for vote at next Tuesdays Glendale city council meeting.
Ice Edge has been willing to discuss the possibility since being approached by Glendale city officials late last week, and will further consider the opportunity as discussions continue throughout the day, however without an assurance from the National Hockey League that the city is committed to funding operating losses next season, a deal with Ice Edge may not get off the ground.
What an odd situation. It’s almost as if the Coyotes are exchanging text messages with their jilted ex-lover, like Brad Pitt leaving a drunken voice mail on Jennifer Anniston’s cell phone to pressure Angelina Jolie to stop adopting random children.
At least the Coyotes showed that they could be a decent draw in Phoenix – at least when the team generates some success. Their sale has been complicated and ugly but hopefully this situation will be resolved without too many cities being negatively affected.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)