May 7, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Could the Winnipeg Jets be back again? It’s a question that circulated around the hockey world earlier this year and the recent headlines indicating difficulties in the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to Jerry Reinsdorf caused them to sprout up yet again. TSN’s Darren Dreger has more.
Winnipeg will soon find out whether or not the Phoenix Coyotes franchise will return to the city it once called home.
Sources tell TSN this decision will be made within the next three weeks, if not sooner.
With Jerry Reinsdorf’s deal to buy the Coyotes hanging precariously in limbo, sources say Glendale city officials are scrambling, trying to push Ice Edge Holdings to sign an agreement of exclusivity, with ties to the existing lease, in time to position a proposal for vote at next Tuesdays Glendale city council meeting.
Ice Edge has been willing to discuss the possibility since being approached by Glendale city officials late last week, and will further consider the opportunity as discussions continue throughout the day, however without an assurance from the National Hockey League that the city is committed to funding operating losses next season, a deal with Ice Edge may not get off the ground.
What an odd situation. It’s almost as if the Coyotes are exchanging text messages with their jilted ex-lover, like Brad Pitt leaving a drunken voice mail on Jennifer Anniston’s cell phone to pressure Angelina Jolie to stop adopting random children.
At least the Coyotes showed that they could be a decent draw in Phoenix – at least when the team generates some success. Their sale has been complicated and ugly but hopefully this situation will be resolved without too many cities being negatively affected.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 0
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 19
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)