May 7, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Could the Winnipeg Jets be back again? It’s a question that circulated around the hockey world earlier this year and the recent headlines indicating difficulties in the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to Jerry Reinsdorf caused them to sprout up yet again. TSN’s Darren Dreger has more.
Winnipeg will soon find out whether or not the Phoenix Coyotes franchise will return to the city it once called home.
Sources tell TSN this decision will be made within the next three weeks, if not sooner.
With Jerry Reinsdorf’s deal to buy the Coyotes hanging precariously in limbo, sources say Glendale city officials are scrambling, trying to push Ice Edge Holdings to sign an agreement of exclusivity, with ties to the existing lease, in time to position a proposal for vote at next Tuesdays Glendale city council meeting.
Ice Edge has been willing to discuss the possibility since being approached by Glendale city officials late last week, and will further consider the opportunity as discussions continue throughout the day, however without an assurance from the National Hockey League that the city is committed to funding operating losses next season, a deal with Ice Edge may not get off the ground.
What an odd situation. It’s almost as if the Coyotes are exchanging text messages with their jilted ex-lover, like Brad Pitt leaving a drunken voice mail on Jennifer Anniston’s cell phone to pressure Angelina Jolie to stop adopting random children.
At least the Coyotes showed that they could be a decent draw in Phoenix – at least when the team generates some success. Their sale has been complicated and ugly but hopefully this situation will be resolved without too many cities being negatively affected.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)