May 7, 2010, 3:00 PM EST
Could the Winnipeg Jets be back again? It’s a question that circulated around the hockey world earlier this year and the recent headlines indicating difficulties in the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to Jerry Reinsdorf caused them to sprout up yet again. TSN’s Darren Dreger has more.
Winnipeg will soon find out whether or not the Phoenix Coyotes franchise will return to the city it once called home.
Sources tell TSN this decision will be made within the next three weeks, if not sooner.
With Jerry Reinsdorf’s deal to buy the Coyotes hanging precariously in limbo, sources say Glendale city officials are scrambling, trying to push Ice Edge Holdings to sign an agreement of exclusivity, with ties to the existing lease, in time to position a proposal for vote at next Tuesdays Glendale city council meeting.
Ice Edge has been willing to discuss the possibility since being approached by Glendale city officials late last week, and will further consider the opportunity as discussions continue throughout the day, however without an assurance from the National Hockey League that the city is committed to funding operating losses next season, a deal with Ice Edge may not get off the ground.
What an odd situation. It’s almost as if the Coyotes are exchanging text messages with their jilted ex-lover, like Brad Pitt leaving a drunken voice mail on Jennifer Anniston’s cell phone to pressure Angelina Jolie to stop adopting random children.
At least the Coyotes showed that they could be a decent draw in Phoenix – at least when the team generates some success. Their sale has been complicated and ugly but hopefully this situation will be resolved without too many cities being negatively affected.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)