May 7, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Could the Winnipeg Jets be back again? It’s a question that circulated around the hockey world earlier this year and the recent headlines indicating difficulties in the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to Jerry Reinsdorf caused them to sprout up yet again. TSN’s Darren Dreger has more.
Winnipeg will soon find out whether or not the Phoenix Coyotes franchise will return to the city it once called home.
Sources tell TSN this decision will be made within the next three weeks, if not sooner.
With Jerry Reinsdorf’s deal to buy the Coyotes hanging precariously in limbo, sources say Glendale city officials are scrambling, trying to push Ice Edge Holdings to sign an agreement of exclusivity, with ties to the existing lease, in time to position a proposal for vote at next Tuesdays Glendale city council meeting.
Ice Edge has been willing to discuss the possibility since being approached by Glendale city officials late last week, and will further consider the opportunity as discussions continue throughout the day, however without an assurance from the National Hockey League that the city is committed to funding operating losses next season, a deal with Ice Edge may not get off the ground.
What an odd situation. It’s almost as if the Coyotes are exchanging text messages with their jilted ex-lover, like Brad Pitt leaving a drunken voice mail on Jennifer Anniston’s cell phone to pressure Angelina Jolie to stop adopting random children.
At least the Coyotes showed that they could be a decent draw in Phoenix – at least when the team generates some success. Their sale has been complicated and ugly but hopefully this situation will be resolved without too many cities being negatively affected.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)