May 7, 2010, 1:56 AM EST
While the Detroit Red Wings lease at Joe Louis Arena is expiring soon, Wings owner Mike Ilitch decided to let folks know that the Wings will stay at the Joe for the time being.
“They’ll probably play their games at the Joe, because, you know, it takes time to get things done,” Ilitch said. “Things are pretty complicated. There’s some options on what we can do, and we’ve been thinking about them.
“The market’s pretty bleak out there as far as building, but we’re still going to get it done. We just have to show a little bit more patience.”
Ilitch has made no bones about wanting to have a new arena for the Red Wings built within the city, and after seeing two of the city’s other three major sports tenants all have new facilities built for them recently (the NBA’s Pistons play in Auburn Hills, Michigan). Given how much success the Wings have had compared to both the Tigers and Lions, it would seem logical that the Wings be rewarded with a grand sparkling facility. Alas, with things being as tough as they are economically speaking, the city isn’t in a big hurry to help Ilitch drop hundreds of millions of dollars into a new sporting facility and you can’t exactly blame them for it.
That said, go ahead and find me another organization in Detroit that’s been as successful as the Red Wings and then perhaps we could start arguing about who should really get rewarded. Perhaps they can just make the Lions play football on Michigan Avenue and move the Red Wings into Ford Field to make up for that egregious error in judgment.*
* – Yes, I am a Lions fan. Pity will be accepted in the comment section.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 0
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 27
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 49
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)