May 7, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks wanted to come out and turn the tables on the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 4 of their series. The Canucks wanted to rough up Dustin Byfuglien and make life uneasy for Antti Niemi in goal. Instead, Brent Seabrook scored 18 seconds into the game and the Blackhawks have scored three more goals on the power play as they lead 4-2 in the second period.
The Canucks were able to bounce back from Seabrook’s early goal with a beefy Kyle Wellwood tally but the Hawks would grab the lead with a Jonathan Toews power play goal. The Canucks would answer right back with a power play goal of their own from Daniel Sedin to end the first period tied 2-2.
The second period would see more of the same from Vancouver, however, with more careless penalties leading to goals. Toews would add his second power play goal of the night 27 seconds into the period courtesy of a Sami Salo holding penalty carried over from the first period. Patrick Sharp would score at 12:47 on the power play courtesy of a Daniel Sedin interference call. At 15:22 Jonathan Toews would net his hat trick goal on a 5-on-3 power play to put the Hawks ahead 5-2.
Alex Edler would get one back courtesy of a Marian Hossa hooking call, burying a shot past Antti Niemi to make it 5-3 at 18:16 of the period.
Suffice it to say, if Vancouver wants to get in this game they need to stop taking pointless “intimidation” penalties or just flat out lazy penalties lest they end up intimidating themselves out of the playoffs.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 2
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 10
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 41
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 25
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0