May 7, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks wanted to come out and turn the tables on the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 4 of their series. The Canucks wanted to rough up Dustin Byfuglien and make life uneasy for Antti Niemi in goal. Instead, Brent Seabrook scored 18 seconds into the game and the Blackhawks have scored three more goals on the power play as they lead 4-2 in the second period.
The Canucks were able to bounce back from Seabrook’s early goal with a beefy Kyle Wellwood tally but the Hawks would grab the lead with a Jonathan Toews power play goal. The Canucks would answer right back with a power play goal of their own from Daniel Sedin to end the first period tied 2-2.
The second period would see more of the same from Vancouver, however, with more careless penalties leading to goals. Toews would add his second power play goal of the night 27 seconds into the period courtesy of a Sami Salo holding penalty carried over from the first period. Patrick Sharp would score at 12:47 on the power play courtesy of a Daniel Sedin interference call. At 15:22 Jonathan Toews would net his hat trick goal on a 5-on-3 power play to put the Hawks ahead 5-2.
Alex Edler would get one back courtesy of a Marian Hossa hooking call, burying a shot past Antti Niemi to make it 5-3 at 18:16 of the period.
Suffice it to say, if Vancouver wants to get in this game they need to stop taking pointless “intimidation” penalties or just flat out lazy penalties lest they end up intimidating themselves out of the playoffs.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)