May 7, 2010, 10:46 PM EST
The Flyers faithful were on edge all night waiting for something bad to happen but Simon Gagne made sure they weren’t going to go home unhappy. Gagne’s tip in past Tuukka Rask 14:40 into overtime ensured that the Flyers would stay alive for at least one more game. For Gagne it should provide a huge lift for the team not just in the sense for the series but also to the rest of the team to show what it takes to win in the playoffs.
Gagne missed the first three games of this series with a broken toe and was a game-time decision tonight and coach Peter Laviolette opted to give him a chance, a gamble that paid off as Gagne had the game-winning goal and was also instrumental in setting up another goal earlier in the game as well. Gagne played over 16 minutes in the game and didn’t look worse for the wear. One unsung hero for the Flyers was defenseman Matt Carle who had four assists and finished the game with a +5 rating.
Brian Boucher, despite a bad goal given up in the second period, played strong stopping 33 shots in the win. Tuukka Rask saved 29 shots in the loss. The Bruins were a bit let down by Rask not playing other-worldly the way he has all playoffs long. Obviously if Rask starts to falter at all, the Bruins will be in trouble in the playoffs.
Game 5 is set for Monday night in Boston.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 26
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)