May 7, 2010, 10:46 PM EST
The Flyers faithful were on edge all night waiting for something bad to happen but Simon Gagne made sure they weren’t going to go home unhappy. Gagne’s tip in past Tuukka Rask 14:40 into overtime ensured that the Flyers would stay alive for at least one more game. For Gagne it should provide a huge lift for the team not just in the sense for the series but also to the rest of the team to show what it takes to win in the playoffs.
Gagne missed the first three games of this series with a broken toe and was a game-time decision tonight and coach Peter Laviolette opted to give him a chance, a gamble that paid off as Gagne had the game-winning goal and was also instrumental in setting up another goal earlier in the game as well. Gagne played over 16 minutes in the game and didn’t look worse for the wear. One unsung hero for the Flyers was defenseman Matt Carle who had four assists and finished the game with a +5 rating.
Brian Boucher, despite a bad goal given up in the second period, played strong stopping 33 shots in the win. Tuukka Rask saved 29 shots in the loss. The Bruins were a bit let down by Rask not playing other-worldly the way he has all playoffs long. Obviously if Rask starts to falter at all, the Bruins will be in trouble in the playoffs.
Game 5 is set for Monday night in Boston.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)