May 7, 2010, 10:46 PM EDT
The Flyers faithful were on edge all night waiting for something bad to happen but Simon Gagne made sure they weren’t going to go home unhappy. Gagne’s tip in past Tuukka Rask 14:40 into overtime ensured that the Flyers would stay alive for at least one more game. For Gagne it should provide a huge lift for the team not just in the sense for the series but also to the rest of the team to show what it takes to win in the playoffs.
Gagne missed the first three games of this series with a broken toe and was a game-time decision tonight and coach Peter Laviolette opted to give him a chance, a gamble that paid off as Gagne had the game-winning goal and was also instrumental in setting up another goal earlier in the game as well. Gagne played over 16 minutes in the game and didn’t look worse for the wear. One unsung hero for the Flyers was defenseman Matt Carle who had four assists and finished the game with a +5 rating.
Brian Boucher, despite a bad goal given up in the second period, played strong stopping 33 shots in the win. Tuukka Rask saved 29 shots in the loss. The Bruins were a bit let down by Rask not playing other-worldly the way he has all playoffs long. Obviously if Rask starts to falter at all, the Bruins will be in trouble in the playoffs.
Game 5 is set for Monday night in Boston.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 26
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 14
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 103
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (103)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement