May 7, 2010, 10:46 PM EDT
The Flyers faithful were on edge all night waiting for something bad to happen but Simon Gagne made sure they weren’t going to go home unhappy. Gagne’s tip in past Tuukka Rask 14:40 into overtime ensured that the Flyers would stay alive for at least one more game. For Gagne it should provide a huge lift for the team not just in the sense for the series but also to the rest of the team to show what it takes to win in the playoffs.
Gagne missed the first three games of this series with a broken toe and was a game-time decision tonight and coach Peter Laviolette opted to give him a chance, a gamble that paid off as Gagne had the game-winning goal and was also instrumental in setting up another goal earlier in the game as well. Gagne played over 16 minutes in the game and didn’t look worse for the wear. One unsung hero for the Flyers was defenseman Matt Carle who had four assists and finished the game with a +5 rating.
Brian Boucher, despite a bad goal given up in the second period, played strong stopping 33 shots in the win. Tuukka Rask saved 29 shots in the loss. The Bruins were a bit let down by Rask not playing other-worldly the way he has all playoffs long. Obviously if Rask starts to falter at all, the Bruins will be in trouble in the playoffs.
Game 5 is set for Monday night in Boston.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 53
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)