May 7, 2010, 10:46 PM EDT
The Flyers faithful were on edge all night waiting for something bad to happen but Simon Gagne made sure they weren’t going to go home unhappy. Gagne’s tip in past Tuukka Rask 14:40 into overtime ensured that the Flyers would stay alive for at least one more game. For Gagne it should provide a huge lift for the team not just in the sense for the series but also to the rest of the team to show what it takes to win in the playoffs.
Gagne missed the first three games of this series with a broken toe and was a game-time decision tonight and coach Peter Laviolette opted to give him a chance, a gamble that paid off as Gagne had the game-winning goal and was also instrumental in setting up another goal earlier in the game as well. Gagne played over 16 minutes in the game and didn’t look worse for the wear. One unsung hero for the Flyers was defenseman Matt Carle who had four assists and finished the game with a +5 rating.
Brian Boucher, despite a bad goal given up in the second period, played strong stopping 33 shots in the win. Tuukka Rask saved 29 shots in the loss. The Bruins were a bit let down by Rask not playing other-worldly the way he has all playoffs long. Obviously if Rask starts to falter at all, the Bruins will be in trouble in the playoffs.
Game 5 is set for Monday night in Boston.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 14
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 29
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 26
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 20
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6