May 7, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
During the Ottawa Senators series, Sidney Crosby was making a case for being the consensus greatest player in the hockey world. With an absurd 14 points in only 5 games, it looked like he was going to threaten Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux for all-time playoff performances.
It only seems fair, then, that the deification that took place in the first round should give way to a fair amount of furrowed brows now that he’s colder than Todd Bertuzzi’s heart. Especially since Alex Ovechkin received so much heat when the Capitals lost to the Montreal Canadiens.
Just look at the most obvious numbers. He scored 14 points in 6 games against Ottawa. Against the Habs, Crosby has 3 points (all assists) in 4 games. He doesn’t have a single goal in the series. There are three games in the Senators series in which he matched (or exceeded) his current totals against Montreal. Crosby only has one game in which he put more than a single shot on goal (five in last night’s contest).
By no means is it time to panic, but I can’t help but wonder what’s eating Sid. He’s obviously frustrated (as one could have seen in Game 2, when he broke his stick on Jaroslav Halak’s goalpost ). He might miss Bill Guerin’s presence. Perhaps Hal Gill has the “book” on the young center.
Either way, the Penguins rely very heavily on Crosby’s offense. The salary cap structure of this team necessitates that the burden falls on Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, so as unfair as it might be, the team lives and dies with their big names. It’s time for Crosby to deliver on his constant expectations. Again.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 2
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 9
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)