May 6, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
Just to prove that sometimes an obvious hunch pays off, the Sharks started the second period with starting goalie Evgeni Nabokov on the bench and backup goalie Thomas Greiss in goal. It wasn’t long into the second period until the Red Wings showed Greiss just what Nabokov was dealing with as Brian Rafalski scored on the power play 3:05 into the second. Greiss would settle down though (kind of easy to do with your team out of the game already) and would stop 13 of 14 shots he saw in the period.
Wings goalie Jimmy Howard would not be able to make a run at the shutout, however, as Dany Heatley scored with just under a minute left in the period on the power play to make it 6-1. Howard has stopped 25 out of 26 shots he’s seen so far.
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 42
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31