May 6, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Just to prove that sometimes an obvious hunch pays off, the Sharks started the second period with starting goalie Evgeni Nabokov on the bench and backup goalie Thomas Greiss in goal. It wasn’t long into the second period until the Red Wings showed Greiss just what Nabokov was dealing with as Brian Rafalski scored on the power play 3:05 into the second. Greiss would settle down though (kind of easy to do with your team out of the game already) and would stop 13 of 14 shots he saw in the period.
Wings goalie Jimmy Howard would not be able to make a run at the shutout, however, as Dany Heatley scored with just under a minute left in the period on the power play to make it 6-1. Howard has stopped 25 out of 26 shots he’s seen so far.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 3
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25