May 6, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Just to prove that sometimes an obvious hunch pays off, the Sharks started the second period with starting goalie Evgeni Nabokov on the bench and backup goalie Thomas Greiss in goal. It wasn’t long into the second period until the Red Wings showed Greiss just what Nabokov was dealing with as Brian Rafalski scored on the power play 3:05 into the second. Greiss would settle down though (kind of easy to do with your team out of the game already) and would stop 13 of 14 shots he saw in the period.
Wings goalie Jimmy Howard would not be able to make a run at the shutout, however, as Dany Heatley scored with just under a minute left in the period on the power play to make it 6-1. Howard has stopped 25 out of 26 shots he’s seen so far.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5