May 6, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
Just to prove that sometimes an obvious hunch pays off, the Sharks started the second period with starting goalie Evgeni Nabokov on the bench and backup goalie Thomas Greiss in goal. It wasn’t long into the second period until the Red Wings showed Greiss just what Nabokov was dealing with as Brian Rafalski scored on the power play 3:05 into the second. Greiss would settle down though (kind of easy to do with your team out of the game already) and would stop 13 of 14 shots he saw in the period.
Wings goalie Jimmy Howard would not be able to make a run at the shutout, however, as Dany Heatley scored with just under a minute left in the period on the power play to make it 6-1. Howard has stopped 25 out of 26 shots he’s seen so far.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39