May 6, 2010, 8:38 PM EDT
Getting a hat trick in the playoffs is a heck of an accomplishment, just ask Dustin Byfuglien. Getting a natural hat trick in the playoffs is pretty impressive in itself and remarkable all at once and that’s precisely what Johan Franzen accomplished. In the span of 5:36 the Red Wings delivered four straight goals to help put the Red Wings out front and just one of those goals coming on the power play courtesy of a deflection from Todd Bertuzzi. After that it was Franzen’s time rattling off three in a row to put Detroit ahead 4-0. Valtteri Filppula added a fifth goal off the skate of Sharks defenseman Douglas Murray to make it 5-0 after one period of play.
Sharks goalie Evgeni Nabokov stopped a startling four out of nine shots in the period while Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard stopped all 11 shots he faced. It remains to be seen if seldom-used Sharks backup goalie Thomas Greiss will come into play in this game. After getting in a 5-0 hole, perhaps giving Nabokov some rest might help.
In Montreal, the Pens continue to lead the Canadiens 2-1 after two periods. While the Canadiens are focused on trying to keep the Pens out of the net, perhaps some offense could work as well. The Penguins are outshooting the Habs 25-9.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)