May 6, 2010, 8:38 PM EDT
Getting a hat trick in the playoffs is a heck of an accomplishment, just ask Dustin Byfuglien. Getting a natural hat trick in the playoffs is pretty impressive in itself and remarkable all at once and that’s precisely what Johan Franzen accomplished. In the span of 5:36 the Red Wings delivered four straight goals to help put the Red Wings out front and just one of those goals coming on the power play courtesy of a deflection from Todd Bertuzzi. After that it was Franzen’s time rattling off three in a row to put Detroit ahead 4-0. Valtteri Filppula added a fifth goal off the skate of Sharks defenseman Douglas Murray to make it 5-0 after one period of play.
Sharks goalie Evgeni Nabokov stopped a startling four out of nine shots in the period while Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard stopped all 11 shots he faced. It remains to be seen if seldom-used Sharks backup goalie Thomas Greiss will come into play in this game. After getting in a 5-0 hole, perhaps giving Nabokov some rest might help.
In Montreal, the Pens continue to lead the Canadiens 2-1 after two periods. While the Canadiens are focused on trying to keep the Pens out of the net, perhaps some offense could work as well. The Penguins are outshooting the Habs 25-9.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)