May 6, 2010, 8:38 PM EST
Getting a hat trick in the playoffs is a heck of an accomplishment, just ask Dustin Byfuglien. Getting a natural hat trick in the playoffs is pretty impressive in itself and remarkable all at once and that’s precisely what Johan Franzen accomplished. In the span of 5:36 the Red Wings delivered four straight goals to help put the Red Wings out front and just one of those goals coming on the power play courtesy of a deflection from Todd Bertuzzi. After that it was Franzen’s time rattling off three in a row to put Detroit ahead 4-0. Valtteri Filppula added a fifth goal off the skate of Sharks defenseman Douglas Murray to make it 5-0 after one period of play.
Sharks goalie Evgeni Nabokov stopped a startling four out of nine shots in the period while Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard stopped all 11 shots he faced. It remains to be seen if seldom-used Sharks backup goalie Thomas Greiss will come into play in this game. After getting in a 5-0 hole, perhaps giving Nabokov some rest might help.
In Montreal, the Pens continue to lead the Canadiens 2-1 after two periods. While the Canadiens are focused on trying to keep the Pens out of the net, perhaps some offense could work as well. The Penguins are outshooting the Habs 25-9.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 9
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)