May 6, 2010, 1:30 AM EDT
With players dropping like flies and the team winning despite all that, one must wonder if the Boston Bruins will suit up beer leaguers at some point in the playoffs. James Murphy of NESN shares that center David Krejci will be out for the playoffs after suffering from a broken wrist thanks to a legal check by Flyers forward Mike Richards.
Reports coming out of Philadelphia claimed that Krejci had a broken wrist and was done for the season. Obviously, that’s hard news to take, but this Bruins team just seems to chew it up and spit it out.
“It becomes a pride factor, and I think it’s about making sure that everyone understands that not one person can replace the guy that’s not here, but the whole team has to and the whole team did,” said head coach Claude Julien when asked how his team seems to pull together, even on the fly, as it did in Game 4. “In the third period, we used our whole bench and everybody had to give us what they had, and we had to stay as fresh as we could to battle a team that was coming at us hard — and I wasn’t ready to shorten my bench for that reason. The bench is already short to start with, and you don’t want to shorten it anymore.”
Krejci has been a solid contributor for the Bruins this playoffs, putting up 8 points in nine games (including an assist during the play that left him injured). It is a tough loss for a team growing accustomed to injuries.
Still, they’ve found ways to win thanks to great goaltending by Tuukka Rask and timely scoring, particularly from veterans such as Miroslav Satan and Mark Recchi. We’ll let you know if anything changes regarding Krejci’s status, but again, reports indicate that he’s done for the playoffs.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner)
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)