May 6, 2010, 1:30 AM EDT
With players dropping like flies and the team winning despite all that, one must wonder if the Boston Bruins will suit up beer leaguers at some point in the playoffs. James Murphy of NESN shares that center David Krejci will be out for the playoffs after suffering from a broken wrist thanks to a legal check by Flyers forward Mike Richards.
Reports coming out of Philadelphia claimed that Krejci had a broken wrist and was done for the season. Obviously, that’s hard news to take, but this Bruins team just seems to chew it up and spit it out.
“It becomes a pride factor, and I think it’s about making sure that everyone understands that not one person can replace the guy that’s not here, but the whole team has to and the whole team did,” said head coach Claude Julien when asked how his team seems to pull together, even on the fly, as it did in Game 4. “In the third period, we used our whole bench and everybody had to give us what they had, and we had to stay as fresh as we could to battle a team that was coming at us hard — and I wasn’t ready to shorten my bench for that reason. The bench is already short to start with, and you don’t want to shorten it anymore.”
Krejci has been a solid contributor for the Bruins this playoffs, putting up 8 points in nine games (including an assist during the play that left him injured). It is a tough loss for a team growing accustomed to injuries.
Still, they’ve found ways to win thanks to great goaltending by Tuukka Rask and timely scoring, particularly from veterans such as Miroslav Satan and Mark Recchi. We’ll let you know if anything changes regarding Krejci’s status, but again, reports indicate that he’s done for the playoffs.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner)
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)