May 6, 2010, 12:30 AM EDT
He might not have the subtle goalie screening skills of Tomas Holmstrom, but Dustin Byfuglien had an enormous impact on Roberto Luongo in Chicago’s 5-2 win tonight. The large forward scored a hat trick and generally made life miserable for the Canucks goalie.
Chicago Blackhawks 5, Vancouver Canucks 2
Blackhawks lead series 2-1
The final Blackhawks/Byfuglien goal was oddly symbolic. Patrick Kane put a backhand shot on net and followed the puck through. Byfuglien more or less pushed Luongo (and basically the puck as well) into the twine and got away with a clear goalie interference. The goal went to video review, but interference isn’t something that can be overturned that way.
I’m not going to go as far as to say that Byfuglien and the Blackhawks are “in Luongo’s head” but this game, at least, got under his skin. He made 30 out of 35 saves while Antti Niemi completed a great night in net going 31 for 33.
After dominating Los Angeles in the first round, the Sedin twins and Mikael Samuelsson are struggling to find space. Daniel only has one point while Henrik only managed a goal and an assist in the three games in this series so far. Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook appear to be too much for the twins to handle right now. If the Canucks hope to make it to the Western Conference Finals, they’ll need more from those weird looking gingers.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)