May 6, 2010, 12:30 AM EDT
He might not have the subtle goalie screening skills of Tomas Holmstrom, but Dustin Byfuglien had an enormous impact on Roberto Luongo in Chicago’s 5-2 win tonight. The large forward scored a hat trick and generally made life miserable for the Canucks goalie.
Chicago Blackhawks 5, Vancouver Canucks 2
Blackhawks lead series 2-1
The final Blackhawks/Byfuglien goal was oddly symbolic. Patrick Kane put a backhand shot on net and followed the puck through. Byfuglien more or less pushed Luongo (and basically the puck as well) into the twine and got away with a clear goalie interference. The goal went to video review, but interference isn’t something that can be overturned that way.
I’m not going to go as far as to say that Byfuglien and the Blackhawks are “in Luongo’s head” but this game, at least, got under his skin. He made 30 out of 35 saves while Antti Niemi completed a great night in net going 31 for 33.
After dominating Los Angeles in the first round, the Sedin twins and Mikael Samuelsson are struggling to find space. Daniel only has one point while Henrik only managed a goal and an assist in the three games in this series so far. Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook appear to be too much for the twins to handle right now. If the Canucks hope to make it to the Western Conference Finals, they’ll need more from those weird looking gingers.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)