May 6, 2010, 11:15 AM EST
The Red Wings have played a ton of hockey the past three years and
despite what some Red Wings fans may admit, they are a bit of an older
team. Combine all of the hockey played by the team and the Olympic
hockey that most of the Red Wings’ players played, there’s no doubt that
Detroit could be playing on some weary legs.
Of course, they
won’t tell you that.
Mike Babcock says it’s just an excuse:
a lot hockey and it’s a grind,” Babcock said. “You could
say, ‘Geez we’ve played a lot hockey. I’m worn out.’ That just means
you’re soft between the ears. Let’s just win a game.”
Lidstrom also shoots down the notion that despite the Red Wings being
outplayed and outworked in three games against the Sharks, it’s more a
matter of them playing poorly than the team being worn down.
notion — that the Red Wings might be tired — is likely to be dismissed
by Detroit fans, as they’ll be the first to admit that the Sharks are
just plain outplaying the Red Wings. I’m also certain that while the fans may not want to admit it, and the team certainly won’t, it’s easy to see that the Sharks are just the hungrier, faster and deeper team.
It’s something that Detroit has yet to come across the past few years in the playoffs, and you can see that the Red Wings are having trouble keeping up. Whether that’s fatigue or not, it’s likely just a case of the Sharks having a better team. While the Red Wings have been so successful over the years, sometimes that happens; sometimes, the Red Wings just aren’t the better team.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)