May 5, 2010, 9:45 PM EST
Most of this year, hockey writers lingered on just how much better the Bruins were last year. Now, with one more win, Boston can pass the 2008-09 team in the area that matters the most: the playoffs.
Boston Bruins 4, Philadelphia Flyers 1
Bruins lead series 3-0
To me, the biggest moment might have been Mark Recchi’s early third period powerplay goal. The puck took an unexpected bounce for Flyers netminder Brian Boucher, who was unable to recognize that Recchi had it. The goal made it 3-1 Boston and after that point, coach Claude Julien put his team into full-on trap mode. Philadelphia put up very little fight after that point.
The biggest story is Tuukka Rask, who stopped 34 of 35 shots to paralyze Philadelphia. Boucher didn’t have his greatest game of the playoffs (16 saves, 3 goals allowed) but wasn’t actually pulled despite what box scores might indicate (Johan Backlund came on simply to give Philly an artificial timeout).
Boston is only one win away from making the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time since 1992. It’s hard to say how upset the Flyers should be; obviously it’s difficult to accept a similar outcome year after year but the team fought through a lot of injury headaches this season. Regardless, it looks like they’ll be able to nurse their wounds no later than next week.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 1
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)