May 5, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
Most of this year, hockey writers lingered on just how much better the Bruins were last year. Now, with one more win, Boston can pass the 2008-09 team in the area that matters the most: the playoffs.
Boston Bruins 4, Philadelphia Flyers 1
Bruins lead series 3-0
To me, the biggest moment might have been Mark Recchi’s early third period powerplay goal. The puck took an unexpected bounce for Flyers netminder Brian Boucher, who was unable to recognize that Recchi had it. The goal made it 3-1 Boston and after that point, coach Claude Julien put his team into full-on trap mode. Philadelphia put up very little fight after that point.
The biggest story is Tuukka Rask, who stopped 34 of 35 shots to paralyze Philadelphia. Boucher didn’t have his greatest game of the playoffs (16 saves, 3 goals allowed) but wasn’t actually pulled despite what box scores might indicate (Johan Backlund came on simply to give Philly an artificial timeout).
Boston is only one win away from making the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time since 1992. It’s hard to say how upset the Flyers should be; obviously it’s difficult to accept a similar outcome year after year but the team fought through a lot of injury headaches this season. Regardless, it looks like they’ll be able to nurse their wounds no later than next week.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 5
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 7
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 15
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)