May 5, 2010, 9:45 PM EDT
Most of this year, hockey writers lingered on just how much better the Bruins were last year. Now, with one more win, Boston can pass the 2008-09 team in the area that matters the most: the playoffs.
Boston Bruins 4, Philadelphia Flyers 1
Bruins lead series 3-0
To me, the biggest moment might have been Mark Recchi’s early third period powerplay goal. The puck took an unexpected bounce for Flyers netminder Brian Boucher, who was unable to recognize that Recchi had it. The goal made it 3-1 Boston and after that point, coach Claude Julien put his team into full-on trap mode. Philadelphia put up very little fight after that point.
The biggest story is Tuukka Rask, who stopped 34 of 35 shots to paralyze Philadelphia. Boucher didn’t have his greatest game of the playoffs (16 saves, 3 goals allowed) but wasn’t actually pulled despite what box scores might indicate (Johan Backlund came on simply to give Philly an artificial timeout).
Boston is only one win away from making the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time since 1992. It’s hard to say how upset the Flyers should be; obviously it’s difficult to accept a similar outcome year after year but the team fought through a lot of injury headaches this season. Regardless, it looks like they’ll be able to nurse their wounds no later than next week.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)