May 5, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
There’s a screencap making the rounds today that shows seven men on
the ice for the Sharks at the moment when Patrick Marleau was scoring
the winning goal in overtime last night against the Detroit Red Wings.
Here’s a link to the screencap, courtesy of Greg Wyshynski.
What it shows is two Sharks players looking down the ice near the
bench, as their teammates jump on the ice during a line change. The play
is far down the ice with Joe Thornton already making the pass across to
Marleau. Is this technically “too many men on the ice” for the Sharks?
Technically, yes but it’s far from the egregious penalty that some may
point it out to be.
This line change is really no different than any others you see
throughout a game, especially with the play on the other end of the ice.
Is it a bit of a lazy change, especially with the two off-going players
gazing down the ice? Of course it is, but the change had absolutely no
bearing on the play that happened.
The good news is that from what I’ve seen, the majority of Wings fans
are saying that the game was not lost on this one “missed call”. Still,
I’m almost 90% certain this wouldn’t have been brought up if it didn’t
happen to the Red Wings.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 0
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 28
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)