May 5, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
There’s a screencap making the rounds today that shows seven men on
the ice for the Sharks at the moment when Patrick Marleau was scoring
the winning goal in overtime last night against the Detroit Red Wings.
Here’s a link to the screencap, courtesy of Greg Wyshynski.
What it shows is two Sharks players looking down the ice near the
bench, as their teammates jump on the ice during a line change. The play
is far down the ice with Joe Thornton already making the pass across to
Marleau. Is this technically “too many men on the ice” for the Sharks?
Technically, yes but it’s far from the egregious penalty that some may
point it out to be.
This line change is really no different than any others you see
throughout a game, especially with the play on the other end of the ice.
Is it a bit of a lazy change, especially with the two off-going players
gazing down the ice? Of course it is, but the change had absolutely no
bearing on the play that happened.
The good news is that from what I’ve seen, the majority of Wings fans
are saying that the game was not lost on this one “missed call”. Still,
I’m almost 90% certain this wouldn’t have been brought up if it didn’t
happen to the Red Wings.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 6
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)