May 5, 2010, 11:57 AM EST
While Shane O’Brien has certainly been the brunt of a number of jokes
lately, he’s been able to step up and become one of the vocal leaders
on the team in the playoffs. The coaches weren’t too pleased with some
of his antics against the Kings, so he toned down his emotions and
started playing some good defensive hockey.
Now, with the series
against Chicago tied as it heads back to Vancouver, he’s decided that
perhaps his team is allowing
their goaltender to take too much abuse.
“I’m only speaking for myself here, but I think we’re being a little too
soft on them definitely in front of the net,” O’Brien said. “The refs
seem to be letting them do whatever they want to Lu. Their guys are
going hard to the net and snowing him and bumping and slashing him. So
we need to do better job of getting in front of him. We have to play a
lot grittier and a lot meaner.”
He went on to say
that he’s not necessarily upset with how the officials are calling (or
not calling) the aggressive approach by the Blackhawks around Luongo.
Instead he feels that the Canucks are letting their desire to not let
their emotions take over affect how they try and answer the way the
Hawks are abusing Luongo.
If the officials aren’t going to call
it, then the Canucks need to answer. With the series now moving to
Vancouver, I’m guessing we’ll see a much more vocal, aggressive and
physical O’Brien near the net, especially if Ben Eager and Adam Burish
attempt to continue their shenanigans from Game 2.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 0
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 5
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 7
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 19
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 36
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8