May 5, 2010, 11:30 PM EST
For a while there, it was looking like Alex Burrows was going to be the goat of the second period. The high-scoring pest took a bad unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that allowed Chicago to score yet another powerplay goal. We were reminded that Burrows’s only 2010 playoff goal came from an empty netter so far. Well, that is, until the end of the second period, when Burrows buried a shot from off the rush to keep Vancouver in the game.
The other big story of this game so far is Dustin Byfuglien. The funny-named forward/defenseman Byfuglien has been called many things. Darren McCarty just called him “linebacker-sized.” The guys at Hockee Night named him the team’s most frustrating player. Some might call him “fugly.” I call him “Buffy the Hamburger Slayer.”
Either way, the big galoot has two powerplay goals already, scoring quickly into each man advantage off of juicy rebounds. His post-goal celebration in the second period is one of the funniest things I’ve seen all day.
The Canucks keep fighting to stay in this one. Jannik Hansen scored his first career playoff goal after what seemed to me to be an eternal shift from the Sedin twins. That one made it 2-1, but Byfuglien’s PP goal almost killed Vancouver’s chances. That is, until Burrows made amends with that big late-period goal.
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers in bind with Montoya also hurt 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)