May 5, 2010, 11:30 PM EST
For a while there, it was looking like Alex Burrows was going to be the goat of the second period. The high-scoring pest took a bad unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that allowed Chicago to score yet another powerplay goal. We were reminded that Burrows’s only 2010 playoff goal came from an empty netter so far. Well, that is, until the end of the second period, when Burrows buried a shot from off the rush to keep Vancouver in the game.
The other big story of this game so far is Dustin Byfuglien. The funny-named forward/defenseman Byfuglien has been called many things. Darren McCarty just called him “linebacker-sized.” The guys at Hockee Night named him the team’s most frustrating player. Some might call him “fugly.” I call him “Buffy the Hamburger Slayer.”
Either way, the big galoot has two powerplay goals already, scoring quickly into each man advantage off of juicy rebounds. His post-goal celebration in the second period is one of the funniest things I’ve seen all day.
The Canucks keep fighting to stay in this one. Jannik Hansen scored his first career playoff goal after what seemed to me to be an eternal shift from the Sedin twins. That one made it 2-1, but Byfuglien’s PP goal almost killed Vancouver’s chances. That is, until Burrows made amends with that big late-period goal.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 42
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 1
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)