May 5, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
The Green Men, who have gained national notoriety for their antics outside the penalty box in Vancouver, will be on hand again in an attempt to agitate any Blackhawks player who makes their way to the sin bin. While we haven’t seen much actual response from the players in the box, it will be interesting to see how the Blackhawks handle the annoying Green Men.
Duncan Keith, who drew the attention of the NHL after squirting Nashville fans with a water bottle, says the two guys are pretty funny. From ESPNChicago.com:
“I don’t think anyone really gets on your nerves when you’re in the
penalty box,” said Keith, who said he was having fun with the heckler in
Nashville. “It’s kind of funny when they’re talking to you. You can
tell they get excited about it.
“I saw it on TV, the ‘Green Guys,’
or whatever they are. It’s pretty funny.”
Adam Burish added that he thinks the two guys are good for the game of hockey and no matter how annoying you think they might be it’s tough to argue with him. The NHL needs more of these sort of harmless antics from the fans (and I emphasize harmless) as the NHL is one of the more accessible sports for fans to attend.
If the players are into it, especially if it doesn’t seem to matter much, then it will great to see just how far the Green Men take their antics with national television cameras aimed in their direction.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)