May 5, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
The Green Men, who have gained national notoriety for their antics outside the penalty box in Vancouver, will be on hand again in an attempt to agitate any Blackhawks player who makes their way to the sin bin. While we haven’t seen much actual response from the players in the box, it will be interesting to see how the Blackhawks handle the annoying Green Men.
Duncan Keith, who drew the attention of the NHL after squirting Nashville fans with a water bottle, says the two guys are pretty funny. From ESPNChicago.com:
“I don’t think anyone really gets on your nerves when you’re in the
penalty box,” said Keith, who said he was having fun with the heckler in
Nashville. “It’s kind of funny when they’re talking to you. You can
tell they get excited about it.
“I saw it on TV, the ‘Green Guys,’
or whatever they are. It’s pretty funny.”
Adam Burish added that he thinks the two guys are good for the game of hockey and no matter how annoying you think they might be it’s tough to argue with him. The NHL needs more of these sort of harmless antics from the fans (and I emphasize harmless) as the NHL is one of the more accessible sports for fans to attend.
If the players are into it, especially if it doesn’t seem to matter much, then it will great to see just how far the Green Men take their antics with national television cameras aimed in their direction.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 20
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 49
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 26
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 52
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6