May 5, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
The Green Men, who have gained national notoriety for their antics outside the penalty box in Vancouver, will be on hand again in an attempt to agitate any Blackhawks player who makes their way to the sin bin. While we haven’t seen much actual response from the players in the box, it will be interesting to see how the Blackhawks handle the annoying Green Men.
Duncan Keith, who drew the attention of the NHL after squirting Nashville fans with a water bottle, says the two guys are pretty funny. From ESPNChicago.com:
“I don’t think anyone really gets on your nerves when you’re in the
penalty box,” said Keith, who said he was having fun with the heckler in
Nashville. “It’s kind of funny when they’re talking to you. You can
tell they get excited about it.
“I saw it on TV, the ‘Green Guys,’
or whatever they are. It’s pretty funny.”
Adam Burish added that he thinks the two guys are good for the game of hockey and no matter how annoying you think they might be it’s tough to argue with him. The NHL needs more of these sort of harmless antics from the fans (and I emphasize harmless) as the NHL is one of the more accessible sports for fans to attend.
If the players are into it, especially if it doesn’t seem to matter much, then it will great to see just how far the Green Men take their antics with national television cameras aimed in their direction.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)