May 5, 2010, 7:56 PM EDT
The NHL playoffs are full of upsets but try this on for size: there were absolutely zero penalties in the first period of tonight’s Bruins-Flyers game. What? Isn’t this Philadelphia and Boston? How exactly does that happen?
Things got crazy in a different way early in the first period. Aaron Asham scored 2:32 into the game, only to be answered by a Blake Wheeler and Miroslav Satan goal just a little more than a minute apart. Satan is, well, hotter than hell right now as he brought his goal scoring streak to four games tonight. Marc Savard continues to grow more comfortable back on the ice, assisting on Wheeler’s first career playoff goal.*
* – Are you with me in thinking “it took Wheeler four rounds to score his first career playoff goal”?
It’s certainly not an insurmountable margin for the Flyers, especially considering their penchant for comebacks – despite falling short of victory – so far in this series. My guess is that this one is far from over … and we’ll probably see a powerplay at some point.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)