May 5, 2010, 7:56 PM EDT
The NHL playoffs are full of upsets but try this on for size: there were absolutely zero penalties in the first period of tonight’s Bruins-Flyers game. What? Isn’t this Philadelphia and Boston? How exactly does that happen?
Things got crazy in a different way early in the first period. Aaron Asham scored 2:32 into the game, only to be answered by a Blake Wheeler and Miroslav Satan goal just a little more than a minute apart. Satan is, well, hotter than hell right now as he brought his goal scoring streak to four games tonight. Marc Savard continues to grow more comfortable back on the ice, assisting on Wheeler’s first career playoff goal.*
* – Are you with me in thinking “it took Wheeler four rounds to score his first career playoff goal”?
It’s certainly not an insurmountable margin for the Flyers, especially considering their penchant for comebacks – despite falling short of victory – so far in this series. My guess is that this one is far from over … and we’ll probably see a powerplay at some point.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)