May 5, 2010, 7:56 PM EDT
The NHL playoffs are full of upsets but try this on for size: there were absolutely zero penalties in the first period of tonight’s Bruins-Flyers game. What? Isn’t this Philadelphia and Boston? How exactly does that happen?
Things got crazy in a different way early in the first period. Aaron Asham scored 2:32 into the game, only to be answered by a Blake Wheeler and Miroslav Satan goal just a little more than a minute apart. Satan is, well, hotter than hell right now as he brought his goal scoring streak to four games tonight. Marc Savard continues to grow more comfortable back on the ice, assisting on Wheeler’s first career playoff goal.*
* – Are you with me in thinking “it took Wheeler four rounds to score his first career playoff goal”?
It’s certainly not an insurmountable margin for the Flyers, especially considering their penchant for comebacks – despite falling short of victory – so far in this series. My guess is that this one is far from over … and we’ll probably see a powerplay at some point.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34