May 4, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
AskMen.com featured an intriguing little article today in which they named the top 10 “most stubborn” fan bases in all of sports. Three NHL teams managed to make the list and to very little surprise, all of them are Canadian. Here’s a little excerpt for each one, along with a pithy comment from yours truly.
No. 2 Toronto Maple Leafs
Leafs fans are more committed to their team than Whitney Houston was to Bobby Brown. Overall, they’ve probably taken about the same amount of abuse.
Burn! If you know me, you know I’ll always approve of a Bobby Brown reference. Does that make me a bad person? Wait, don’t answer that …
No. 6 Montreal Canadiens
Those stubborn Habs fans are stuck in the past. They’re quick with a quote from a memorable season in the ’70s and they’ll reminisce about the good old days, but the reality is that they are nothing more than the champions of mediocrity nowadays.
To be fair, Larry Robinson did hit someone so hard it dented the boards. I’d brag about that alone for 40+ years. That’s just awesome.
No. 8 Calgary Flames
Hockey fans are always committed, but in Calgary, without any other major sports, the Flames are like an only child.
Does that make people in Winnipeg “latch-key” kids? G-get it? Because they don’t have a team/metaphorical parents at home? (Sorry)
In case you’re curious, the Cleveland Browns were named the No. 1 team when it comes to stubborn. See, Browns fans, you can be the best at … oh, right.
(H/T to Sean Leahy from Puck Daddy.)
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)