May 4, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
AskMen.com featured an intriguing little article today in which they named the top 10 “most stubborn” fan bases in all of sports. Three NHL teams managed to make the list and to very little surprise, all of them are Canadian. Here’s a little excerpt for each one, along with a pithy comment from yours truly.
No. 2 Toronto Maple Leafs
Leafs fans are more committed to their team than Whitney Houston was to Bobby Brown. Overall, they’ve probably taken about the same amount of abuse.
Burn! If you know me, you know I’ll always approve of a Bobby Brown reference. Does that make me a bad person? Wait, don’t answer that …
No. 6 Montreal Canadiens
Those stubborn Habs fans are stuck in the past. They’re quick with a quote from a memorable season in the ’70s and they’ll reminisce about the good old days, but the reality is that they are nothing more than the champions of mediocrity nowadays.
To be fair, Larry Robinson did hit someone so hard it dented the boards. I’d brag about that alone for 40+ years. That’s just awesome.
No. 8 Calgary Flames
Hockey fans are always committed, but in Calgary, without any other major sports, the Flames are like an only child.
Does that make people in Winnipeg “latch-key” kids? G-get it? Because they don’t have a team/metaphorical parents at home? (Sorry)
In case you’re curious, the Cleveland Browns were named the No. 1 team when it comes to stubborn. See, Browns fans, you can be the best at … oh, right.
(H/T to Sean Leahy from Puck Daddy.)
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 11
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)