May 4, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
The dream already seemed to fade away, but it’s now official: Jaromir Jagr will not play in the NHL during the 2010-11 season. The 38-year-old winger signed a one-year contract to remain in the KHL as a member of Avangard Omsk. TSN had a few quotes from Jagr on the negotiations and his once-again murky future with the NHL.
Jagr told the media at a press conference that he hadn’t negotiated with anybody other than Avangard Omsk and said he didn’t want to get into a bidding war for his services.
“I prefer when there is only one offer, sometimes it is better,” Jagr said. “I got used to both the city and the team [and] this was the most important,” he added.
Asked if he would consider playing in the NHL once the contract expired, Jagr said wasn’t sure if any teams would be interested.
“Next year I will be 39; I don’t believe many clubs would like to have me [on their] team. One has to be realistic,” he said.
Count me among one of those fools who hopes he returns for a swan song season. Watching Jaromir Jagr skate around with his frequently noted mullet in those goofy futuristic Penguins jerseys was one of the defining joys of my sports childhood. Even if he’s not the force of nature he once was, there’s little doubt in my mind that he was a viable NHL player in his final season with the New York Rangers.
Then again, it’s always sad to see a once-great player’s skill deteriorate before your eyes, so maybe it’s better if Jagr stays overseas.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 16
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8