May 4, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
The dream already seemed to fade away, but it’s now official: Jaromir Jagr will not play in the NHL during the 2010-11 season. The 38-year-old winger signed a one-year contract to remain in the KHL as a member of Avangard Omsk. TSN had a few quotes from Jagr on the negotiations and his once-again murky future with the NHL.
Jagr told the media at a press conference that he hadn’t negotiated with anybody other than Avangard Omsk and said he didn’t want to get into a bidding war for his services.
“I prefer when there is only one offer, sometimes it is better,” Jagr said. “I got used to both the city and the team [and] this was the most important,” he added.
Asked if he would consider playing in the NHL once the contract expired, Jagr said wasn’t sure if any teams would be interested.
“Next year I will be 39; I don’t believe many clubs would like to have me [on their] team. One has to be realistic,” he said.
Count me among one of those fools who hopes he returns for a swan song season. Watching Jaromir Jagr skate around with his frequently noted mullet in those goofy futuristic Penguins jerseys was one of the defining joys of my sports childhood. Even if he’s not the force of nature he once was, there’s little doubt in my mind that he was a viable NHL player in his final season with the New York Rangers.
Then again, it’s always sad to see a once-great player’s skill deteriorate before your eyes, so maybe it’s better if Jagr stays overseas.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)