May 4, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
The dream already seemed to fade away, but it’s now official: Jaromir Jagr will not play in the NHL during the 2010-11 season. The 38-year-old winger signed a one-year contract to remain in the KHL as a member of Avangard Omsk. TSN had a few quotes from Jagr on the negotiations and his once-again murky future with the NHL.
Jagr told the media at a press conference that he hadn’t negotiated with anybody other than Avangard Omsk and said he didn’t want to get into a bidding war for his services.
“I prefer when there is only one offer, sometimes it is better,” Jagr said. “I got used to both the city and the team [and] this was the most important,” he added.
Asked if he would consider playing in the NHL once the contract expired, Jagr said wasn’t sure if any teams would be interested.
“Next year I will be 39; I don’t believe many clubs would like to have me [on their] team. One has to be realistic,” he said.
Count me among one of those fools who hopes he returns for a swan song season. Watching Jaromir Jagr skate around with his frequently noted mullet in those goofy futuristic Penguins jerseys was one of the defining joys of my sports childhood. Even if he’s not the force of nature he once was, there’s little doubt in my mind that he was a viable NHL player in his final season with the New York Rangers.
Then again, it’s always sad to see a once-great player’s skill deteriorate before your eyes, so maybe it’s better if Jagr stays overseas.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)