May 4, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
All of a sudden, officiating luck is starting to go Detroit’s way. Shortly after having a potential 1-0 lead erased by video review, the VHS gods smiled upon Tomas Holmstrom’s genuine 1-0 tally. Later in the first period, the Red Wings benefited from a tough call on the Sharks as Logan Couture was (perhaps incorrectly) accused of closing his hand on a loose puck in the crease. The Red Wings received a penalty shot, but Henrik Zetteberg was unable to connect on it thanks to a beautiful glove save by Evgeni Nabokov.
That didn’t slow the Red Wings down for very long, however, as Dan Cleary made it 2-0. Yet, just as it looked like Detroit was assuming total control over the game, Devin Setoguchi scored a big goal with only about 2 seconds left in the game. We’ll see if that goal will power the somewhat flat Sharks as the game is 2-1 going into the second period.
Meanwhile, in Montreal, the game remains 0-0 with about 8 minutes left in the second period. After an extremely flat first frame, the Penguins are showing some signs of life while the Canadiens remain impressive on defense. Jaroslav Halak is in the game now as he’s seeing much more activity than he did in a 3-shot first.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)