May 4, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
All of a sudden, officiating luck is starting to go Detroit’s way. Shortly after having a potential 1-0 lead erased by video review, the VHS gods smiled upon Tomas Holmstrom’s genuine 1-0 tally. Later in the first period, the Red Wings benefited from a tough call on the Sharks as Logan Couture was (perhaps incorrectly) accused of closing his hand on a loose puck in the crease. The Red Wings received a penalty shot, but Henrik Zetteberg was unable to connect on it thanks to a beautiful glove save by Evgeni Nabokov.
That didn’t slow the Red Wings down for very long, however, as Dan Cleary made it 2-0. Yet, just as it looked like Detroit was assuming total control over the game, Devin Setoguchi scored a big goal with only about 2 seconds left in the game. We’ll see if that goal will power the somewhat flat Sharks as the game is 2-1 going into the second period.
Meanwhile, in Montreal, the game remains 0-0 with about 8 minutes left in the second period. After an extremely flat first frame, the Penguins are showing some signs of life while the Canadiens remain impressive on defense. Jaroslav Halak is in the game now as he’s seeing much more activity than he did in a 3-shot first.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)