May 4, 2010, 8:30 PM EST
All of a sudden, officiating luck is starting to go Detroit’s way. Shortly after having a potential 1-0 lead erased by video review, the VHS gods smiled upon Tomas Holmstrom’s genuine 1-0 tally. Later in the first period, the Red Wings benefited from a tough call on the Sharks as Logan Couture was (perhaps incorrectly) accused of closing his hand on a loose puck in the crease. The Red Wings received a penalty shot, but Henrik Zetteberg was unable to connect on it thanks to a beautiful glove save by Evgeni Nabokov.
That didn’t slow the Red Wings down for very long, however, as Dan Cleary made it 2-0. Yet, just as it looked like Detroit was assuming total control over the game, Devin Setoguchi scored a big goal with only about 2 seconds left in the game. We’ll see if that goal will power the somewhat flat Sharks as the game is 2-1 going into the second period.
Meanwhile, in Montreal, the game remains 0-0 with about 8 minutes left in the second period. After an extremely flat first frame, the Penguins are showing some signs of life while the Canadiens remain impressive on defense. Jaroslav Halak is in the game now as he’s seeing much more activity than he did in a 3-shot first.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)