May 4, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
All of a sudden, officiating luck is starting to go Detroit’s way. Shortly after having a potential 1-0 lead erased by video review, the VHS gods smiled upon Tomas Holmstrom’s genuine 1-0 tally. Later in the first period, the Red Wings benefited from a tough call on the Sharks as Logan Couture was (perhaps incorrectly) accused of closing his hand on a loose puck in the crease. The Red Wings received a penalty shot, but Henrik Zetteberg was unable to connect on it thanks to a beautiful glove save by Evgeni Nabokov.
That didn’t slow the Red Wings down for very long, however, as Dan Cleary made it 2-0. Yet, just as it looked like Detroit was assuming total control over the game, Devin Setoguchi scored a big goal with only about 2 seconds left in the game. We’ll see if that goal will power the somewhat flat Sharks as the game is 2-1 going into the second period.
Meanwhile, in Montreal, the game remains 0-0 with about 8 minutes left in the second period. After an extremely flat first frame, the Penguins are showing some signs of life while the Canadiens remain impressive on defense. Jaroslav Halak is in the game now as he’s seeing much more activity than he did in a 3-shot first.
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 5
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)