May 4, 2010, 8:30 PM EDT
All of a sudden, officiating luck is starting to go Detroit’s way. Shortly after having a potential 1-0 lead erased by video review, the VHS gods smiled upon Tomas Holmstrom’s genuine 1-0 tally. Later in the first period, the Red Wings benefited from a tough call on the Sharks as Logan Couture was (perhaps incorrectly) accused of closing his hand on a loose puck in the crease. The Red Wings received a penalty shot, but Henrik Zetteberg was unable to connect on it thanks to a beautiful glove save by Evgeni Nabokov.
That didn’t slow the Red Wings down for very long, however, as Dan Cleary made it 2-0. Yet, just as it looked like Detroit was assuming total control over the game, Devin Setoguchi scored a big goal with only about 2 seconds left in the game. We’ll see if that goal will power the somewhat flat Sharks as the game is 2-1 going into the second period.
Meanwhile, in Montreal, the game remains 0-0 with about 8 minutes left in the second period. After an extremely flat first frame, the Penguins are showing some signs of life while the Canadiens remain impressive on defense. Jaroslav Halak is in the game now as he’s seeing much more activity than he did in a 3-shot first.
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 0
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 15
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)