May 4, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
Tonight’s two games are only a half-hour apart, so I thought it would be prudent to discuss them together here. Let’s take a look at what’s at stake in each match.
Pittsburgh Penguins at Montreal Canadiens 7:00 PM ET (Versus, CBC)
Series tied 1-1
When Sidney Crosby was an awkward little Nova Scotia native, his favorite team was the Montreal Canadiens. Surely adulthood and bushels of cash will numb most of the emotions sports writers want to superimpose on him in this game, but that doesn’t change the fact that the atmosphere will be electric tonight. Game 3′s and 5′s can often be pivotal in a playoff series, so expect a good one. Can Jaroslav Halak stand tall once again? Will he need to?
San Jose Sharks at Detroit Red Wings 7:30 PM ET (TSN, CSN California, FS Detroit)
Sharks lead series 2-0
The Sharks must be satisfied after defending their home ice, but they’ve coughed up a 2-0 series lead before. Someone, somewhere is just waiting to write some kind of “The two Joes turn into average Joes at The Joe”-type headline. Bank on it.
It’ll be interesting to see if the wave of complaints (many justified) about officiating will play a role in this game. Will the whistles go the Red Wings way with all of that criticism and home ice advantage on their side? Should be an interesting one to watch, as Detroit needs to get back in this series.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 4
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 65
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (134)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (116)