May 4, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
Tonight’s two games are only a half-hour apart, so I thought it would be prudent to discuss them together here. Let’s take a look at what’s at stake in each match.
Pittsburgh Penguins at Montreal Canadiens 7:00 PM ET (Versus, CBC)
Series tied 1-1
When Sidney Crosby was an awkward little Nova Scotia native, his favorite team was the Montreal Canadiens. Surely adulthood and bushels of cash will numb most of the emotions sports writers want to superimpose on him in this game, but that doesn’t change the fact that the atmosphere will be electric tonight. Game 3’s and 5’s can often be pivotal in a playoff series, so expect a good one. Can Jaroslav Halak stand tall once again? Will he need to?
San Jose Sharks at Detroit Red Wings 7:30 PM ET (TSN, CSN California, FS Detroit)
Sharks lead series 2-0
The Sharks must be satisfied after defending their home ice, but they’ve coughed up a 2-0 series lead before. Someone, somewhere is just waiting to write some kind of “The two Joes turn into average Joes at The Joe”-type headline. Bank on it.
It’ll be interesting to see if the wave of complaints (many justified) about officiating will play a role in this game. Will the whistles go the Red Wings way with all of that criticism and home ice advantage on their side? Should be an interesting one to watch, as Detroit needs to get back in this series.
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 0
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 33
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)