May 3, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Considering my puck-centric existence, it’s sometimes easy to ignore news that means more than what affects NHL scoreboards. Take, for instance, the brutal flooding that had a particularly profound impact on the state of Tennessee while also doing damage in Missouri and Kentucky. Reports indicate that 21 people died because of the disaster as Tennessee received more than twice as much rainfall (13.53) in a 48 hour period than it ever has in the state’s history.
It turns out that even if the Nashville Predators would have made it past the Chicago Blackhawks, the team may have had to “host” its second round series elsewhere. Check out this stunning story from The Nashville Scene.
I was as disappointed as everyone else in town when the Preds got knocked out of the playoffs, but had they advanced, they might have had some trouble skating on home ice – unless they froze the flood.
Folks down at Bridgestone Arena report ankle deep water all along the event level, including in the locker rooms. Arena staff are squeegeeing and mopping up as we speak.
The Winter Classic apparently isn’t the only time a hockey game can be affected by the elements. Let’s hope that the worst is over with as it seems like the flooding was as disastrous as it was unpredictable. Our best wishes go out to anyone impacted by the weather.
(H/T to On the Forecheck.)
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)