May 3, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
Considering my puck-centric existence, it’s sometimes easy to ignore news that means more than what affects NHL scoreboards. Take, for instance, the brutal flooding that had a particularly profound impact on the state of Tennessee while also doing damage in Missouri and Kentucky. Reports indicate that 21 people died because of the disaster as Tennessee received more than twice as much rainfall (13.53) in a 48 hour period than it ever has in the state’s history.
It turns out that even if the Nashville Predators would have made it past the Chicago Blackhawks, the team may have had to “host” its second round series elsewhere. Check out this stunning story from The Nashville Scene.
I was as disappointed as everyone else in town when the Preds got knocked out of the playoffs, but had they advanced, they might have had some trouble skating on home ice – unless they froze the flood.
Folks down at Bridgestone Arena report ankle deep water all along the event level, including in the locker rooms. Arena staff are squeegeeing and mopping up as we speak.
The Winter Classic apparently isn’t the only time a hockey game can be affected by the elements. Let’s hope that the worst is over with as it seems like the flooding was as disastrous as it was unpredictable. Our best wishes go out to anyone impacted by the weather.
(H/T to On the Forecheck.)
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 44
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)