May 3, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
For some reason, the best saves of the night in my mind(and, also of the Sharks-Red Wings game in general) stuck out as glove saves. Perhaps that has a lot to do with the natural showmanship that comes with waving your hand and stopping those elusive top shelf chances.
Both Evgeni Nabokov and Jimmy Howard made some impressive “flashes of the leather” last night. I’ll start with Nabokov’s third period glove save because, contextually, it might have saved the game for the eventual winners in teal.
While Nabokov’s save helped the Sharks win, Jimmy Howard’s glove made quite a few appearances. On one save, he robbed Joe Pavelski of a hat trick. Here’s the one he made on Manny Malhotra early in the game.
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 1
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)