May 3, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
For some reason, the best saves of the night in my mind(and, also of the Sharks-Red Wings game in general) stuck out as glove saves. Perhaps that has a lot to do with the natural showmanship that comes with waving your hand and stopping those elusive top shelf chances.
Both Evgeni Nabokov and Jimmy Howard made some impressive “flashes of the leather” last night. I’ll start with Nabokov’s third period glove save because, contextually, it might have saved the game for the eventual winners in teal.
While Nabokov’s save helped the Sharks win, Jimmy Howard’s glove made quite a few appearances. On one save, he robbed Joe Pavelski of a hat trick. Here’s the one he made on Manny Malhotra early in the game.
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 1
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal 5
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 29
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19