May 3, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
When Alex Ovechkin and Alex Semin pictured representing Russia during international play in 2010, my guess is that they weren’t expecting to do so in Vancouver and Germany. That is the sad case for the idle Washington Capitals duo, who will be joined by fellow teammate Semyon Varlamov on the Russian World Championships roster. TSN has the story.
According to the Washington Post, Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Semyon Varlamov are expected to represent Russia at the upcoming World Hockey Championship in Germany. The tournament gets under way on May 7 with Russia’s first game on May 9 against Slovakia.
Brooks Laich will be playing for Canada and Michael Nylander will be suiting up for his native Sweden.
The report indicates that Mike Green (Canada), Nicklas Backstrom (Sweden) and Tomas Fleischmann (Czech Republic) are believed to have declined invitations to play for their respective countries.
Ah, it’s been a while since I’ve heard anything about Michael Nylander. Is his name Swedish for “Alex Mogilny”? I wonder if there’s a Players Stashed in the Minors Because of Bloated Contracts support group somewhere …
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness