May 3, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
When Alex Ovechkin and Alex Semin pictured representing Russia during international play in 2010, my guess is that they weren’t expecting to do so in Vancouver and Germany. That is the sad case for the idle Washington Capitals duo, who will be joined by fellow teammate Semyon Varlamov on the Russian World Championships roster. TSN has the story.
According to the Washington Post, Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Semyon Varlamov are expected to represent Russia at the upcoming World Hockey Championship in Germany. The tournament gets under way on May 7 with Russia’s first game on May 9 against Slovakia.
Brooks Laich will be playing for Canada and Michael Nylander will be suiting up for his native Sweden.
The report indicates that Mike Green (Canada), Nicklas Backstrom (Sweden) and Tomas Fleischmann (Czech Republic) are believed to have declined invitations to play for their respective countries.
Ah, it’s been a while since I’ve heard anything about Michael Nylander. Is his name Swedish for “Alex Mogilny”? I wonder if there’s a Players Stashed in the Minors Because of Bloated Contracts support group somewhere …
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)