May 3, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
When Alex Ovechkin and Alex Semin pictured representing Russia during international play in 2010, my guess is that they weren’t expecting to do so in Vancouver and Germany. That is the sad case for the idle Washington Capitals duo, who will be joined by fellow teammate Semyon Varlamov on the Russian World Championships roster. TSN has the story.
According to the Washington Post, Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Semyon Varlamov are expected to represent Russia at the upcoming World Hockey Championship in Germany. The tournament gets under way on May 7 with Russia’s first game on May 9 against Slovakia.
Brooks Laich will be playing for Canada and Michael Nylander will be suiting up for his native Sweden.
The report indicates that Mike Green (Canada), Nicklas Backstrom (Sweden) and Tomas Fleischmann (Czech Republic) are believed to have declined invitations to play for their respective countries.
Ah, it’s been a while since I’ve heard anything about Michael Nylander. Is his name Swedish for “Alex Mogilny”? I wonder if there’s a Players Stashed in the Minors Because of Bloated Contracts support group somewhere …
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)