May 3, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
When Alex Ovechkin and Alex Semin pictured representing Russia during international play in 2010, my guess is that they weren’t expecting to do so in Vancouver and Germany. That is the sad case for the idle Washington Capitals duo, who will be joined by fellow teammate Semyon Varlamov on the Russian World Championships roster. TSN has the story.
According to the Washington Post, Alex Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Semyon Varlamov are expected to represent Russia at the upcoming World Hockey Championship in Germany. The tournament gets under way on May 7 with Russia’s first game on May 9 against Slovakia.
Brooks Laich will be playing for Canada and Michael Nylander will be suiting up for his native Sweden.
The report indicates that Mike Green (Canada), Nicklas Backstrom (Sweden) and Tomas Fleischmann (Czech Republic) are believed to have declined invitations to play for their respective countries.
Ah, it’s been a while since I’ve heard anything about Michael Nylander. Is his name Swedish for “Alex Mogilny”? I wonder if there’s a Players Stashed in the Minors Because of Bloated Contracts support group somewhere …
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 17
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 33
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)