May 3, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
So, some interesting developments today in the sale of the Dallas Stars, as we learn the name of yet another potential new owner. Several reports over this past weekend have Calgary oil tycoon Bill Gallacher as the leading candidate to purchase the Stars from current owner Tom Hicks.
As part of news, we get some more information on the group that includes former Stars team president Jim Lites and current player Mike Modano. There was some thought when Modano’s name emerged that he could be his own boss next season, as a minority owner and a player on the ice.
According to Modano, it seems the NHL won’t allow that to happen. Per Mike Heika’s blog:
“I’m sure all of that will get worked out well ahead of time, but
that’s what I’ve been told,” Modano said of the rule. “My guess is
that if I’m part of that group and we’re the owners of the team, then
I’ll have made a decision by then anyway.”
In other words, if Modano is purchasing the Stars then he’s already decided not to return to the team. However, I wonder what changed between when Mario Lemieux played and now.
Some other notes from the ownership news: While Tom Hicks is quickly becoming the most hated man in baseball as he continuously makes the sale of the Texas Rangers increasingly difficult, it seems that he’s not doing the same with the sale of the Stars. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly says that the sale of the Stars is on the right track and that Hicks and the team is not in debt to the NHL.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)