May 3, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
So, some interesting developments today in the sale of the Dallas Stars, as we learn the name of yet another potential new owner. Several reports over this past weekend have Calgary oil tycoon Bill Gallacher as the leading candidate to purchase the Stars from current owner Tom Hicks.
As part of news, we get some more information on the group that includes former Stars team president Jim Lites and current player Mike Modano. There was some thought when Modano’s name emerged that he could be his own boss next season, as a minority owner and a player on the ice.
According to Modano, it seems the NHL won’t allow that to happen. Per Mike Heika’s blog:
“I’m sure all of that will get worked out well ahead of time, but
that’s what I’ve been told,” Modano said of the rule. “My guess is
that if I’m part of that group and we’re the owners of the team, then
I’ll have made a decision by then anyway.”
In other words, if Modano is purchasing the Stars then he’s already decided not to return to the team. However, I wonder what changed between when Mario Lemieux played and now.
Some other notes from the ownership news: While Tom Hicks is quickly becoming the most hated man in baseball as he continuously makes the sale of the Texas Rangers increasingly difficult, it seems that he’s not doing the same with the sale of the Stars. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly says that the sale of the Stars is on the right track and that Hicks and the team is not in debt to the NHL.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)