May 3, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
So, some interesting developments today in the sale of the Dallas Stars, as we learn the name of yet another potential new owner. Several reports over this past weekend have Calgary oil tycoon Bill Gallacher as the leading candidate to purchase the Stars from current owner Tom Hicks.
As part of news, we get some more information on the group that includes former Stars team president Jim Lites and current player Mike Modano. There was some thought when Modano’s name emerged that he could be his own boss next season, as a minority owner and a player on the ice.
According to Modano, it seems the NHL won’t allow that to happen. Per Mike Heika’s blog:
“I’m sure all of that will get worked out well ahead of time, but
that’s what I’ve been told,” Modano said of the rule. “My guess is
that if I’m part of that group and we’re the owners of the team, then
I’ll have made a decision by then anyway.”
In other words, if Modano is purchasing the Stars then he’s already decided not to return to the team. However, I wonder what changed between when Mario Lemieux played and now.
Some other notes from the ownership news: While Tom Hicks is quickly becoming the most hated man in baseball as he continuously makes the sale of the Texas Rangers increasingly difficult, it seems that he’s not doing the same with the sale of the Stars. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly says that the sale of the Stars is on the right track and that Hicks and the team is not in debt to the NHL.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)