May 3, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
So, some interesting developments today in the sale of the Dallas Stars, as we learn the name of yet another potential new owner. Several reports over this past weekend have Calgary oil tycoon Bill Gallacher as the leading candidate to purchase the Stars from current owner Tom Hicks.
As part of news, we get some more information on the group that includes former Stars team president Jim Lites and current player Mike Modano. There was some thought when Modano’s name emerged that he could be his own boss next season, as a minority owner and a player on the ice.
According to Modano, it seems the NHL won’t allow that to happen. Per Mike Heika’s blog:
“I’m sure all of that will get worked out well ahead of time, but
that’s what I’ve been told,” Modano said of the rule. “My guess is
that if I’m part of that group and we’re the owners of the team, then
I’ll have made a decision by then anyway.”
In other words, if Modano is purchasing the Stars then he’s already decided not to return to the team. However, I wonder what changed between when Mario Lemieux played and now.
Some other notes from the ownership news: While Tom Hicks is quickly becoming the most hated man in baseball as he continuously makes the sale of the Texas Rangers increasingly difficult, it seems that he’s not doing the same with the sale of the Stars. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly says that the sale of the Stars is on the right track and that Hicks and the team is not in debt to the NHL.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)