May 3, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
So, some interesting developments today in the sale of the Dallas Stars, as we learn the name of yet another potential new owner. Several reports over this past weekend have Calgary oil tycoon Bill Gallacher as the leading candidate to purchase the Stars from current owner Tom Hicks.
As part of news, we get some more information on the group that includes former Stars team president Jim Lites and current player Mike Modano. There was some thought when Modano’s name emerged that he could be his own boss next season, as a minority owner and a player on the ice.
According to Modano, it seems the NHL won’t allow that to happen. Per Mike Heika’s blog:
“I’m sure all of that will get worked out well ahead of time, but
that’s what I’ve been told,” Modano said of the rule. “My guess is
that if I’m part of that group and we’re the owners of the team, then
I’ll have made a decision by then anyway.”
In other words, if Modano is purchasing the Stars then he’s already decided not to return to the team. However, I wonder what changed between when Mario Lemieux played and now.
Some other notes from the ownership news: While Tom Hicks is quickly becoming the most hated man in baseball as he continuously makes the sale of the Texas Rangers increasingly difficult, it seems that he’s not doing the same with the sale of the Stars. Deputy commissioner Bill Daly says that the sale of the Stars is on the right track and that Hicks and the team is not in debt to the NHL.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 26
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)