May 3, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Joe Pavelski (deservingly) will dominate many of the “player of the day” type headlines around the NHL since he’s been hotter than Mila Kunis the last 3-5 games. (More on that later. Pavelski, that is, not Kunis.)
Another piping-hot run is that of Montreal Canadiens sniper Mike Cammalleri. He’s only played one playoff game so far without notching at least a point. He has eight goals in nine playoff games, including seven in his last six contests. People are going to dissect the Penguins’ issues as if they’re appearing on hockey “CSI” but perhaps we should focus on the fact that Cammalleri gives the Habs such a scary counter-punch?
Anyway, the man with a name that resembles a delicious but eerie seafood appetizer scored twice yesterday, including this amazing feat of hand-eye coordination. I think this goal symbolizes a lot of what has made Cammalleri so deadly in the playoffs: it happened in a blink and left his opponents feeling helpless. There were some other candidates for Goal of the Night, but this one takes the cake (or the calamari?).
Actually, since you might be at your cubicle wiping away eye crispies (scientific term) and wishing that the weekend weren’t over, how about we take a look at the best goal Pavelski figured into as well? This one was actually an assist by Pavelski and a beauty at that.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)