May 3, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Joe Pavelski (deservingly) will dominate many of the “player of the day” type headlines around the NHL since he’s been hotter than Mila Kunis the last 3-5 games. (More on that later. Pavelski, that is, not Kunis.)
Another piping-hot run is that of Montreal Canadiens sniper Mike Cammalleri. He’s only played one playoff game so far without notching at least a point. He has eight goals in nine playoff games, including seven in his last six contests. People are going to dissect the Penguins’ issues as if they’re appearing on hockey “CSI” but perhaps we should focus on the fact that Cammalleri gives the Habs such a scary counter-punch?
Anyway, the man with a name that resembles a delicious but eerie seafood appetizer scored twice yesterday, including this amazing feat of hand-eye coordination. I think this goal symbolizes a lot of what has made Cammalleri so deadly in the playoffs: it happened in a blink and left his opponents feeling helpless. There were some other candidates for Goal of the Night, but this one takes the cake (or the calamari?).
Actually, since you might be at your cubicle wiping away eye crispies (scientific term) and wishing that the weekend weren’t over, how about we take a look at the best goal Pavelski figured into as well? This one was actually an assist by Pavelski and a beauty at that.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)