May 3, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Joe Pavelski (deservingly) will dominate many of the “player of the day” type headlines around the NHL since he’s been hotter than Mila Kunis the last 3-5 games. (More on that later. Pavelski, that is, not Kunis.)
Another piping-hot run is that of Montreal Canadiens sniper Mike Cammalleri. He’s only played one playoff game so far without notching at least a point. He has eight goals in nine playoff games, including seven in his last six contests. People are going to dissect the Penguins’ issues as if they’re appearing on hockey “CSI” but perhaps we should focus on the fact that Cammalleri gives the Habs such a scary counter-punch?
Anyway, the man with a name that resembles a delicious but eerie seafood appetizer scored twice yesterday, including this amazing feat of hand-eye coordination. I think this goal symbolizes a lot of what has made Cammalleri so deadly in the playoffs: it happened in a blink and left his opponents feeling helpless. There were some other candidates for Goal of the Night, but this one takes the cake (or the calamari?).
Actually, since you might be at your cubicle wiping away eye crispies (scientific term) and wishing that the weekend weren’t over, how about we take a look at the best goal Pavelski figured into as well? This one was actually an assist by Pavelski and a beauty at that.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)