May 3, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Joe Pavelski (deservingly) will dominate many of the “player of the day” type headlines around the NHL since he’s been hotter than Mila Kunis the last 3-5 games. (More on that later. Pavelski, that is, not Kunis.)
Another piping-hot run is that of Montreal Canadiens sniper Mike Cammalleri. He’s only played one playoff game so far without notching at least a point. He has eight goals in nine playoff games, including seven in his last six contests. People are going to dissect the Penguins’ issues as if they’re appearing on hockey “CSI” but perhaps we should focus on the fact that Cammalleri gives the Habs such a scary counter-punch?
Anyway, the man with a name that resembles a delicious but eerie seafood appetizer scored twice yesterday, including this amazing feat of hand-eye coordination. I think this goal symbolizes a lot of what has made Cammalleri so deadly in the playoffs: it happened in a blink and left his opponents feeling helpless. There were some other candidates for Goal of the Night, but this one takes the cake (or the calamari?).
Actually, since you might be at your cubicle wiping away eye crispies (scientific term) and wishing that the weekend weren’t over, how about we take a look at the best goal Pavelski figured into as well? This one was actually an assist by Pavelski and a beauty at that.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 9
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)