May 3, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Joe Pavelski (deservingly) will dominate many of the “player of the day” type headlines around the NHL since he’s been hotter than Mila Kunis the last 3-5 games. (More on that later. Pavelski, that is, not Kunis.)
Another piping-hot run is that of Montreal Canadiens sniper Mike Cammalleri. He’s only played one playoff game so far without notching at least a point. He has eight goals in nine playoff games, including seven in his last six contests. People are going to dissect the Penguins’ issues as if they’re appearing on hockey “CSI” but perhaps we should focus on the fact that Cammalleri gives the Habs such a scary counter-punch?
Anyway, the man with a name that resembles a delicious but eerie seafood appetizer scored twice yesterday, including this amazing feat of hand-eye coordination. I think this goal symbolizes a lot of what has made Cammalleri so deadly in the playoffs: it happened in a blink and left his opponents feeling helpless. There were some other candidates for Goal of the Night, but this one takes the cake (or the calamari?).
Actually, since you might be at your cubicle wiping away eye crispies (scientific term) and wishing that the weekend weren’t over, how about we take a look at the best goal Pavelski figured into as well? This one was actually an assist by Pavelski and a beauty at that.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 4
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)