May 3, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
The Iowa Chops came into prominence briefly during the 2008-09 season thanks to a few off-beat marketing schemes, including the mere oddity that is their team … “mascot.” It didn’t take long for the jokes to fade away and it’s gotten to the point that the team is in limbo.
It seems like there might be a light at the tunnel, though. The Des Moines Register reports that the Dallas Stars franchise offered to purchase the defunct Chops franchise, a deal the Polk County Board of Supervisors is currently considering.
Documents obtained from Polk County officials show the franchise would be sold for $3.75 million to the owners of the NHL’s Dallas Stars, which is operating a franchise in suburban Austin, Texas, on temporary status.
If approved by the county, the agreement would pave the way to end nearly a year of uncertainty over the immediate future of AHL hockey in Iowa’s largest city. AHL officials suspended the operation of the franchise after officials for Schlegel Sports acknowledged they intended to sell the franchise and move it from Des Moines after four years of operation.
The owners said they had to sell the team because of millions of dollars in losses.
Clearly, this is a battle for barbecue supremacy as much as it is about hockey in non-traditional markets. Right?
(H/T to Defending Big D)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal