May 3, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
The Iowa Chops came into prominence briefly during the 2008-09 season thanks to a few off-beat marketing schemes, including the mere oddity that is their team … “mascot.” It didn’t take long for the jokes to fade away and it’s gotten to the point that the team is in limbo.
It seems like there might be a light at the tunnel, though. The Des Moines Register reports that the Dallas Stars franchise offered to purchase the defunct Chops franchise, a deal the Polk County Board of Supervisors is currently considering.
Documents obtained from Polk County officials show the franchise would be sold for $3.75 million to the owners of the NHL’s Dallas Stars, which is operating a franchise in suburban Austin, Texas, on temporary status.
If approved by the county, the agreement would pave the way to end nearly a year of uncertainty over the immediate future of AHL hockey in Iowa’s largest city. AHL officials suspended the operation of the franchise after officials for Schlegel Sports acknowledged they intended to sell the franchise and move it from Des Moines after four years of operation.
The owners said they had to sell the team because of millions of dollars in losses.
Clearly, this is a battle for barbecue supremacy as much as it is about hockey in non-traditional markets. Right?
(H/T to Defending Big D)
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)