May 3, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
The Iowa Chops came into prominence briefly during the 2008-09 season thanks to a few off-beat marketing schemes, including the mere oddity that is their team … “mascot.” It didn’t take long for the jokes to fade away and it’s gotten to the point that the team is in limbo.
It seems like there might be a light at the tunnel, though. The Des Moines Register reports that the Dallas Stars franchise offered to purchase the defunct Chops franchise, a deal the Polk County Board of Supervisors is currently considering.
Documents obtained from Polk County officials show the franchise would be sold for $3.75 million to the owners of the NHL’s Dallas Stars, which is operating a franchise in suburban Austin, Texas, on temporary status.
If approved by the county, the agreement would pave the way to end nearly a year of uncertainty over the immediate future of AHL hockey in Iowa’s largest city. AHL officials suspended the operation of the franchise after officials for Schlegel Sports acknowledged they intended to sell the franchise and move it from Des Moines after four years of operation.
The owners said they had to sell the team because of millions of dollars in losses.
Clearly, this is a battle for barbecue supremacy as much as it is about hockey in non-traditional markets. Right?
(H/T to Defending Big D)
- Jordan Staal needs help off the ice in Canes’ preseason game 1
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)