May 3, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
While Jaroslav Halak seemed to find his Superman cape again yesterday against Pittsburgh, there’s little doubt that the Montreal Canadiens would love to get their best defenseman Andrei Markov back as soon as possible. The talented blueliner suffered an injury from a Matt Cooke hit in Game 1 and Sportsnet.ca reports that he’ll continue to undergo testing on his “lower body” injury.
The Montreal Canadiens announced Monday that defenceman Andrei Markov will undergo more testing to re-evaluate his “lower body” injury.
Markov was hurt in Game 1 of the team’s Eastern Conference semi-final series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. He returned to Montreal immediately following the game and was listed as out indefinitely.
Markov’s season already was plagued by injuries as he missed 35 games with a lacerated foot. When healthy, Markov is among the league’s best point producing defensemen and is a bit underrated overall. Despite the rave reviews that rookie P.K. Subban, Hal Gill and Josh Gorges are receiving, the Canadiens are still depending heavily on Halak. Getting Markov back would greatly enhance the Habs’ giant-killing potential.
We’ll let you know more about Markov’s situation as news trickles in.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)