May 2, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
Late in the game of a 3-1 win by the Montreal Canadiens over the Pittsburgh Penguins, we had yet another illegal hit that sent a player headfirst into the boards. Here’s the video of the hit:
First the good news: despite what appeared to be a neck or head injury, Bergeron declared after the game that he was just fine.
Craig Adams was handed a 5-minute major for “checking from behind” and a 10-minute game misconduct. The checking from behind call, the one that comes with an automatic misconduct, is a penalty that is rarely called these days in favor of the ever popular and much more subjective “boarding”, in which the officials can hand out any number of penalties associated with that call.
Word is that the NHL has already declared that the hit will not warrant any further discipline by the league, as it’s apparent they feel that the 15 minutes in penalties were enough punishment. Of course, the hit came with just over two minutes remaining in regulation during a 3-1 game, so Adams didn’t exactly feel the full brunt of the punishment.
If Bergeron was carted off the ice on a stretcher, which was certainly a possibility considering how he hit the wall, I doubt the NHL would have been so quick to pass on further punishment.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)