May 2, 2010, 9:54 PM EDT
In an interview during the first intermission, Sharks forward Ryane Clowe downplayed the effect Tomas Holmstrom’s elite screening skills had on the Red Wings’ second goal. There’s no doubt that the man I call “The Human Eclipse” is making an impact on this game, though, as that first goal indeed was credited to him and he also blocked Evgeni Nabokov’s vision on Nicklas Lidstrom’s second period 3-2 goal.
After being out-shot 15-7 in the first period, the Red Wings played a much more even second period and lead the game 3-2 with one period left. Their penalty kill is keeping them in the game, allowing one goal on five Sharks powerplay opportunities.
With a 1-0 series lead, this isn’t a do-or-die period for San Jose but getting a 2-0 cushion would be a great relief to a team that probably doesn’t trust luck to go their way. To do so, the Sharks must find a way to deal with Holmstrom and get at least two more pucks past a sharp Jimmy Howard.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)