May 2, 2010, 9:54 PM EDT
In an interview during the first intermission, Sharks forward Ryane Clowe downplayed the effect Tomas Holmstrom’s elite screening skills had on the Red Wings’ second goal. There’s no doubt that the man I call “The Human Eclipse” is making an impact on this game, though, as that first goal indeed was credited to him and he also blocked Evgeni Nabokov’s vision on Nicklas Lidstrom’s second period 3-2 goal.
After being out-shot 15-7 in the first period, the Red Wings played a much more even second period and lead the game 3-2 with one period left. Their penalty kill is keeping them in the game, allowing one goal on five Sharks powerplay opportunities.
With a 1-0 series lead, this isn’t a do-or-die period for San Jose but getting a 2-0 cushion would be a great relief to a team that probably doesn’t trust luck to go their way. To do so, the Sharks must find a way to deal with Holmstrom and get at least two more pucks past a sharp Jimmy Howard.
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7