May 2, 2010, 12:19 PM EDT
Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin has said this afternoon that Jaroslav Halak will get the start today against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
After the obviously tired and worn down Halak was shelled for five goals on Friday, there was some thought that the Habs would go with Carey Price in goal. It was a plan that eventually worked for Marin in the first round, when a motivated and rested Halak returned after being benched to play one of the best three-game stretches of hockey we’ve seen in a very long time.
While you have to admire Martin sticking with his goaltender this time, you have to wonder whether Halak may have reached his peak in Game 7 against he Capitals. It was almost personal with Halak at that point, and seeing how he wilted — although the loss is far from his fault alone — perhaps would have been smarter to go with Price.
The Canadiens cannot afford to go down 2-0 in the series, and despite what we saw in Game 1 this past season has proven that Halak gives them the best chance to win.
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 0
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 0
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 19
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 45