May 2, 2010, 12:19 PM EST
Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin has said this afternoon that Jaroslav Halak will get the start today against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
After the obviously tired and worn down Halak was shelled for five goals on Friday, there was some thought that the Habs would go with Carey Price in goal. It was a plan that eventually worked for Marin in the first round, when a motivated and rested Halak returned after being benched to play one of the best three-game stretches of hockey we’ve seen in a very long time.
While you have to admire Martin sticking with his goaltender this time, you have to wonder whether Halak may have reached his peak in Game 7 against he Capitals. It was almost personal with Halak at that point, and seeing how he wilted — although the loss is far from his fault alone — perhaps would have been smarter to go with Price.
The Canadiens cannot afford to go down 2-0 in the series, and despite what we saw in Game 1 this past season has proven that Halak gives them the best chance to win.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)