May 2, 2010, 12:19 PM EST
Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin has said this afternoon that Jaroslav Halak will get the start today against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
After the obviously tired and worn down Halak was shelled for five goals on Friday, there was some thought that the Habs would go with Carey Price in goal. It was a plan that eventually worked for Marin in the first round, when a motivated and rested Halak returned after being benched to play one of the best three-game stretches of hockey we’ve seen in a very long time.
While you have to admire Martin sticking with his goaltender this time, you have to wonder whether Halak may have reached his peak in Game 7 against he Capitals. It was almost personal with Halak at that point, and seeing how he wilted — although the loss is far from his fault alone — perhaps would have been smarter to go with Price.
The Canadiens cannot afford to go down 2-0 in the series, and despite what we saw in Game 1 this past season has proven that Halak gives them the best chance to win.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 3
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 31
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 69
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)