May 2, 2010, 12:19 PM EST
Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin has said this afternoon that Jaroslav Halak will get the start today against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
After the obviously tired and worn down Halak was shelled for five goals on Friday, there was some thought that the Habs would go with Carey Price in goal. It was a plan that eventually worked for Marin in the first round, when a motivated and rested Halak returned after being benched to play one of the best three-game stretches of hockey we’ve seen in a very long time.
While you have to admire Martin sticking with his goaltender this time, you have to wonder whether Halak may have reached his peak in Game 7 against he Capitals. It was almost personal with Halak at that point, and seeing how he wilted — although the loss is far from his fault alone — perhaps would have been smarter to go with Price.
The Canadiens cannot afford to go down 2-0 in the series, and despite what we saw in Game 1 this past season has proven that Halak gives them the best chance to win.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11