May 2, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
2:00 p.m. EDT, 2 May, 2010
Live on NBC
Don’t forget, we’ll have a live chat during the game on Pro Hockey
Talk at 1:45 p.m. EDT.
While the Pittsburgh Penguins are dealing with an injury of their
own, the Canadiens are going to have to try to find some way to replace
one of their top defensemen. After taking out the Capitals in seven
games, trying to do the same with the Penguins without Andrei Markov is
going to be near impossible.
After a big, clean hit by Matt Cooke
that sent Markov awkwardly into the boards, the defensemen has been sent
back to Montreal for further testing and evaluating and there’s no word
on just how long he may be out.
For the Canadiens, a team that
relied on stellar defense, goaltending and timely power play goals, the
loss of Markov could prove devastating. After his injury in the first
period of Game 1, it was painfully obvious how disjointed the Habs’
defensive group became.
While the defense certainly paid a painful
price for not being able to makeup for the loss of Markov, it was on
the power play that his absence was felt the most.
Canadiens had a couple of chances to get back in the game on Friday
while on the power play, but without Markov running the point the Habs
threatened to give the Nashville Predators a run for their money for the
most hapless special teams unit of the playoffs.
will struggle to find ways to replace Staal, but I doubt the Canadiens
will be able to find a way to pick up for Markov on the blueline.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 93
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)