May 2, 2010, 12:30 AM EST
Get your “Fire Glen Sather” jokes ready, because the NHL might introduce an annual award for the league’s best general manager, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
The first annual General Manager Award will indeed see the light of day this year.
You may remember this was Brian Burke’s idea a few years back and, finally, after careful vetting at the proper levels, the award is a go, a source told ESPN.com Saturday. Always made sense to me; if there’s a Jack Adams Award for coach of the year, why not a GM Award?
All 30 GMs had a ballot sent to them over the past week. It’s not clear at this point, but other people may also vote on it. What’s also not clear is when the award will be presented, whether it’ll be with the other awards in Las Vegas on June 23 or at a separate function.
But one thing’s for sure: There will be a GM Award for this season.
Who do you think should win it, then? Do you judge it by wins alone or just look at what that general manager had to work with in a given season? My inkling would be to consider someone like Vancouver’s Mike Gillis, but then again, Brian Burke is the guy who drafted the Sedin twins and Dave Nonis traded for Roberto Luongo.
It might be weird to reward a GM when most of those results are part of a multi-year process, but I love the idea of the award. More on that as the information leaks out.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 151
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (152)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)