May 2, 2010, 12:30 AM EDT
Get your “Fire Glen Sather” jokes ready, because the NHL might introduce an annual award for the league’s best general manager, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
The first annual General Manager Award will indeed see the light of day this year.
You may remember this was Brian Burke’s idea a few years back and, finally, after careful vetting at the proper levels, the award is a go, a source told ESPN.com Saturday. Always made sense to me; if there’s a Jack Adams Award for coach of the year, why not a GM Award?
All 30 GMs had a ballot sent to them over the past week. It’s not clear at this point, but other people may also vote on it. What’s also not clear is when the award will be presented, whether it’ll be with the other awards in Las Vegas on June 23 or at a separate function.
But one thing’s for sure: There will be a GM Award for this season.
Who do you think should win it, then? Do you judge it by wins alone or just look at what that general manager had to work with in a given season? My inkling would be to consider someone like Vancouver’s Mike Gillis, but then again, Brian Burke is the guy who drafted the Sedin twins and Dave Nonis traded for Roberto Luongo.
It might be weird to reward a GM when most of those results are part of a multi-year process, but I love the idea of the award. More on that as the information leaks out.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 0
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 28
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 4
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 45
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1