May 2, 2010, 12:30 AM EST
Get your “Fire Glen Sather” jokes ready, because the NHL might introduce an annual award for the league’s best general manager, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
The first annual General Manager Award will indeed see the light of day this year.
You may remember this was Brian Burke’s idea a few years back and, finally, after careful vetting at the proper levels, the award is a go, a source told ESPN.com Saturday. Always made sense to me; if there’s a Jack Adams Award for coach of the year, why not a GM Award?
All 30 GMs had a ballot sent to them over the past week. It’s not clear at this point, but other people may also vote on it. What’s also not clear is when the award will be presented, whether it’ll be with the other awards in Las Vegas on June 23 or at a separate function.
But one thing’s for sure: There will be a GM Award for this season.
Who do you think should win it, then? Do you judge it by wins alone or just look at what that general manager had to work with in a given season? My inkling would be to consider someone like Vancouver’s Mike Gillis, but then again, Brian Burke is the guy who drafted the Sedin twins and Dave Nonis traded for Roberto Luongo.
It might be weird to reward a GM when most of those results are part of a multi-year process, but I love the idea of the award. More on that as the information leaks out.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)